Tatoo Information

eschal

Registered
Does anybody know how much a full sleeve tattoo should go for here in B'sA's? (Full sleeve-from elbow to top of shoulder). With color and some detail but not super detailed.

If so, does anyone know of a good artist?
Gracias,
Ale

check out the bond st. gallery. I came close to getting some ink there on my last trip. There is a place called american tattoo that gets very high traffic, but they are also expensive. I would go in there and walk around. Chat with some artists in different areas. American tattoo looks too much like fast food restaurant to me.

no offense, I'm sure they have talented folks, but I dont want anyone rushing to get me out cause they have a waiting room full of turistas.

I met a cool artist upstairs that I found as he was just sketching some work and we chatted for a while...

sadly, I can't find his contact info... lost it somewhere on the trip. But I do want to go back and find him.

Isn't elbow to top of shoulder considered a half-sleeve (full sleeve going to the wrist)?

I don't have any particular info on pricing, as everything is constantly changing here, but if I were you I would cover large swaths of the city looking for tattoo shops (there are tons everywhere, and I'd personally steer away from Galeria Bond, although you might find a good artist there, just for it's sheer trendiness, fishbowl lilke atmosphere, and "fast food" factory feeling that chico described). My suggestion is to ask people on the street who have tattoos that you like where they got the work done, then go visit those artists. Look at portfolios. Spend the necessary time to track down an artist whose work you *LOVE* and then pay them to put their art on you. Tattoos are not something you should penny pinch on, and it takes legwork and investigation to get a really solid, beautiful, original piece of art that speaks to you. Then again, if that's not what your after and you just want a memento tattoo from your trip then there's nothing stopping you from getting some flash at a bargain on Bond street. It all depends on what you're looking for, your tastes, and what you want out of the experience. Just my .02. Good luck!

Thanks for the Replies. I went to Bond Street today, American Tattoo with the art that I want on my sleeve (which btw: IS a half sleeve not a full sleeve) and the Artis said it would be around 2000 pesos ($500). I found this very expensive? Anyway, I'll take your advice and shop around the city. It did feel kinda like the place became popular only because it's the first parlor that you see when you go in.

from my experience for a large piece it's kind of nice to get a quote for the whole piece rather than an hourly rate, since frequently the hours get estimated and can easiy go well over the allotted time. That said, whether the price is high depends on the complexity of the design, how much you're asking for them to do (do you already have your design completed that they need to just draw out, or do you need them to adapt/change/or otherwise help you 'realize' your idea), plus their sheer level of artistic skill. Obviously the higher quality artist they are, the more they will charge.

For me, I wouldn't think about whether $2000 pesos is expensive in Argentina, but whether $2000 is expensive for a piece of art that you will have for the rest of your life covering half of one arm. You will see it every day for the rest of your life, and you better like looking at it! ;) I know in Seattle, for example, a $500 half-sleeve would be a steal. That said, without knowing what your design is, personally I would consider personally $2000 pesos or $500 dollars to be a relative bargain for what will most likely be a minimum of 10 hours and maximum of 30 hours of tattooing but ** IF ** and only if your tattoo artist is highly skilled and can deliver the outcome that you desire. That said, definitely shop around! While you don't want to be cheap about your tattoo, you also don't want to get ripped off. That's one of the turn-offs to me about Bond street--they are "the" spot in town and so I think any clients are generally taken less seriously because the artists don't have to work for clientele. It's reminds me of the Hot Topic of tattooing (although I'm sure there are some talented people working in there). I bet that not being taken seriously (and/or being taken for a ride) is especially true if you're a foreigner.

I have a friend who had a nice piece done here, I'll ask her about the shop and pass on the info to you when I hear back if you like. In the meantime, here is a link to an Argentine tattoo magazine that likely is a very good resource: http://www.pielmag.com/index.php?sec=1

Good luck and enjoy the process!

Back