Tax Filing Assistance Us-Citize Living Abroad?

Alejandro.Pawliszyn

Registered
Hello. Can anyone recommend an accountant or tax service to consult on US filing as US-Citizen living abroad?
Please PM me. Thanks!
Alejandro

I have lived outside the US since 2000 and have been using http://www.taxact.com/ for many years.

It is possible to use their service for FREE but I pay the big bucks for the deluxe version (less than $15.00 USD)

The "program" will ask all relevant questions, including about the foreign earned income exemption and the Affordable Care Act. If you lived outside of the US for more than 330 days of the year you will be "exempted" from the requirement and the "tax" will disappear from the total tax due (continuously displayed in a popup window) when you answer the appropriate question.

Before submitting your return you can even check to see if the information on your return is complete and if it matches the information that financial institutions have submitted to the IRS (1099's, K-1's, etc.). You will know if everything is OK in less than 30 seconds after you "submit" your return (if the IRS computer "accepts" it).

I would not consider paying a living, breathing,mistake-making accountant for this service.

You can even buy "audit defense" using this service for a very reasonable fee (but I don't).

The McKeegans from Greenback Expat Tax are great. They have lived abroad for more than a decade. They are highly educated and have a team of CPAs that handle these returns. We met them in Uruguay and again in Mendoza (They also lived in BA for a time). They're currently in Bali with their three boys. 1st born in UK, 2nd in Argentina and the 3rd in the US (they left Bali for his birth).

We have referred to friends as well who have had good experiences.

The McKeegans from Greenback Expat Tax are great. They have lived abroad for more than a decade. They are highly educated and have a team of CPAs that handle these returns. We met them in Uruguay and again in Mendoza (They also lived in BA for a time). They're currently in Bali with their three boys. 1st born in UK, 2nd in Argentina and the 3rd in the US (they left Bali for his birth).

We have referred to friends as well who have had good experiences.

I haven't had anything to complain about so far....even got me a discount this year towards my filing for 2014.

The cost of Greenback Expat Tax Service is $367 US DOLLARS. Anyone who uses their service will have to submit the exact same information to them as they would to TaxAct. It took me less than 45 minutes to complete, review, and submit my 2014 return on line with TaXAct (including being a foreign resident and NOT being subject to the ACA), and I did not have to wait a day for anyone to get back to me. I also knew that my return had been "accepted" by the IRS before I logged out. I knew the numbers I provided matched the numbers that were given to the IRS by my bank and other financial entities. There was one 1099 that I had NOT received that was in the data TaxAct could access from the IRS!

Here are the two most important features of TaxAct "Deluxe" (which is what I use to be sure what I report on my return exactly matches the numbers that have been submitted to the IRS on Form 1099 and Schedule K-1).
  • Import prior year TaxACT data (fills in a lot of data instantly)
  • Import investments, Form 1099s, Schedule K-1s and more
The deluxe package also offers "help" with audits and other features. You can pay more for an audit-proof guarantee (or something like that).

The cost is $14.99 US DOLLARS. That's NOT a typo. The cost is FOURTEEN DOLLARS AND NINETY-NINE CENTS.

Unless the "discount" from Greenback Expat Tax is more than $362, I think anyone who uses them may be paying too much.
emo32.gif

Vincenzo Villemena.

- [email protected]

He is from NY but is in and out of Buenos Aires now and then. He set up different things for me in the USA and I imagine would be able to do a good job helping you.

The cost of Greenback Expat Tax Service is $367 US DOLLARS. Anyone who uses their service will have to submit the exact same information to them as they would to TaxAct. It took me less than 45 minutes to complete, review, and submit my 2014 return on line with TaXAct (including being a foreign resident and NOT being subject to the ACA), and I did not have to wait a day for anyone to get back to me. I also knew that my return had been "accepted" by the IRS before I logged out. I knew the numbers I provided matched the numbers that were given to the IRS by my bank and other financial entities. There was one 1099 that I had NOT received that was in the data TaxAct could access from the IRS!

Here are the two most important features of TaxAct "Deluxe" (which is what I use to be sure what I report on my return exactly matches the numbers that have been submitted to the IRS on Form 1099 and Schedule K-1).
  • Import prior year TaxACT data (fills in a lot of data instantly)
  • Import investments, Form 1099s, Schedule K-1s and more
The deluxe package also offers "help" with audits and other features. You can pay more for an audit-proof guarantee (or something like that).

The cost is $14.99 US DOLLARS. That's NOT a typo. The cost is FOURTEEN DOLLARS AND NINETY-NINE CENTS.

Unless the "discount" from Greenback Expat Tax is more than $362, I think anyone who uses them may be paying too much.
emo32.gif

Yikes, it looks like I got hosed......

Back