Tax of foreign pension

sternum

Registered
I wonder if you are a resident here temporarily or steady, do you have to pay tax of your foreign pension? If not, - are there any realistic plans that they would start to tax foreign pensioners?

Thanks!

I looked this up a few years ago so some of it might have changed. AIUI if someone lives in the country for more than six months in the year then they are liable for taxation, including a tax on overseas assets - although I believe that last part was due to end sometime in 2019. Whether someone is living officially or unofficially in Argentina is not relevant to the tax laws. Though it stands to reason that someone living unofficially is less likely to be asked to pay tax, it doesn't remove that liability.

Some countries have a dual-taxation treaty with Argentina so that someone who pays a certain tax in one country shouldn't have to pay that same tax again in the other. I really couldn't say which country gets first bite of the cherry in those circumstances or indeed where there's no tax treaty so if anybody thinks they might be affected then it would probably be a good idea to seek proper tax advice in both jurisdictions.

E&OE etc, etc

I found there is double tax agreement with many European countries. I talked to a tax lawyer. He said the agreement is that you have to pay tax of your foreign income here as a permanent resident. But not as temporary, nor tourist.

And, as of a few years ago, no tax treaty with the USA.

T/

I found there is double tax agreement with many European countries. I talked to a tax lawyer. He said the agreement is that you have to pay tax of your foreign income here as a permanent resident. But not as temporary, nor tourist.
If you pay full tax on your pension in the country where the pension is paid or 'earned', do you then have to pay tax on the same income again as a resident in Argentina?

How does Argentina know you have foreign pension income? I have lived in Argentina extensively, with a DNI, and live on my US Social Security, etc. I imagine if I went to work legally in Argentina, which I'm not going to do, then I might become known to the Argentine tax authorities.

Back