Taxes for foreigners

That is the thing. If you get paid in crypto then the "official" rate at all the argentinian exchanges is very close to the "dolar MEP" (if you do the math calculating crypto value to dollar value to peso value). So, pretty good.

Is that still the case for services? AFIP's website says the 5% tax regulation for exporting services is in effect until December 31, 2020

Also, it was my understanding that if your business is registered as a Pyme (small business) at the AFIP and you invoice less than 600.000 USD per year then you were/are exempt from paying export duties for services. All Monotributos invoice less than that per year.
Interesting information, thank you, I will be investigating this. My employer here is still including export duties in the calculation.

I'm the first person to advocate for researching everything and DIY but the comments from the tax professionals in those articles are, at best, extremely broad and not applicable to realistic scenarios, and at worst misleading.

Setting up a foreign corporation as a tax shield is a common trick and most tax authorities worldwide, including AFIP, have extremely broad criteria that allow them to disregard them if there's grounds to believe the sole purpose of the corporation is to avoid taxation in the country where the work is performed. If your "company" is essentially just you doing the work but then sending out an invoice with your LLC on the header, then yeah, you're gonna get hit with taxes for that.

Getting paid with crypto and bringing in the equivalent amount of pesos is also a "grey" area and very much something that mostly works now because BCRA doesn't actually practice enforcement.

Of course, most freelancers don't report income at all and coast by on AFIP never noticing them, so it might be a moot point.

Interesting information, thank you, I will be investigating this. My employer here is still including export duties in the calculation.

In case you are interested in the sources: This is the link from AFIP about the services export duty in effect until Dec 31, 2020:

And his is the one about export duties for Pymes (600k limit):

Back