Taxi rates. Am I being scammed?

I also recommend Radiotaxi Premium. It's one of the few apps on my phone that I actually use. The only drawback is you might have to wait a while for your taxi to show up. Sometimes it tells me "your driver is 5 minutes away" and then half an hour later "your driver is 2 minutes away".

As far as the talk-talk thing, I have had some great conversations with taxi drivers. They have almost always been very educational.

I also recommend Radiotaxi Premium. It's one of the few apps on my phone that I actually use. The only drawback is you might have to wait a while for your taxi to show up. Sometimes it tells me "your driver is 5 minutes away" and then half an hour later "your driver is 2 minutes away".
They must have those slow meters.

In 15 years, flagging down taxis on the street, I have been overcharged perhaps twice.
99% of cabdrivers are very honest.
personally, I only take Uber or similar rides when I need to go someplace outside of the city proper. I am not a big fan of the dudes who drive em, smothered in aftershave, listening to commercial trap music, although every once in a while you get a nice one, who isnt too stoked up on steroids.
Mostly, I take the colectivo, which runs 24/7, goes everywhere, and is dirt cheap.

Ubers tend to be young Venezuelans while taxis are older Argentine men.

I usually enjoy the conversations more with taxi drivers, but with Uber you know the exact price in case you aren’t familiar with what it should be.

Over 10 years I’ve probably been scammed around 5 times by taxi drivers. 99% are honest

I was a young fresh faced graduate in 2011 with lots of money in my pocket when myself and 2 colleagues decided we'd go to Gualeguaychu for Carnival.
First we decided we'd try to buy some weed in Capital, but with no contacts in the city decided that the best bet would be jump in a taxi and ask.
With my limited Spanish I explained what was required and we jumped in the taxi somewhere near Teatro Colón.
Driver thought he knew where we could get some and drove us to Bosques de Palermo, after several discussions with the transvestites there we ascertained that weed was a no go but we could get some cocaine. After around 5 seconds of deliberation amongst ourselves we said yer why not.
The topless "lady" of the night jumped in the back of the taxi to complete the transaction, with my two colleagues sat in the back. Me in the front.
The look on Bakur's face (the Saudi Arabian of the two) was priceless.
Driver then took us back to our hotel and wished us a good night.
It was a long drive to Gualeguaychu the next day after a sleepless night seeing who of us could get a word in edgeways.

After that I didn't have too many concerns about answering the odd question from a taxi driver.

I was a young fresh faced graduate in 2011 with lots of money in my pocket when myself and 2 colleagues decided we'd go to Gualeguaychu for Carnival.
First we decided we'd try to buy some weed in Capital, but with no contacts in the city decided that the best bet would be jump in a taxi and ask.
With my limited Spanish I explained what was required and we jumped in the taxi somewhere near Teatro Colón.
Driver thought he knew where we could get some and drove us to Bosques de Palermo, after several discussions with the transvestites there we ascertained that weed was a no go but we could get some cocaine. After around 5 seconds of deliberation amongst ourselves we said yer why not.
The topless "lady" of the night jumped in the back of the taxi to complete the transaction, with my two colleagues sat in the back. Me in the front.
The look on Bakur's face (the Saudi Arabian of the two) was priceless.
Driver then took us back to our hotel and wished us a good night.
It was a long drive to Gualeguaychu the next day after a sleepless night seeing who of us could get a word in edgeways.

After that I didn't have too many concerns about answering the odd question from a taxi driver.

Jajajaja, great story. When I lived in Las Cañitas, I used to go walking in the Bosque Viejo in the mornings early, and around behind the Hipódromo there were always a few "muchachas con manija". Whether they were working the end of a late shift or the beginning of an early one, I didn't ask. Who knows, maybe some people like chorizo for breakfast.

I never thought to ask them about recreational substances...

Jajajaja, great story. When I lived in Las Cañitas, I used to go walking in the Bosque Viejo in the mornings early, and around behind the Hipódromo there were always a few "muchachas con manija". Whether they were working the end of a late shift or the beginning of an early one, I didn't ask. Who knows, maybe some people like chorizo for breakfast.

I never thought to ask them about recreational substances...
Apparently it’s a “thing” because 12 years later moved to bajo Belgrano just the other side of La Pampa and another taxi driver told me he regularly takes passengers round there to pick up falopa

I never repeated the experience however, was far too strong!

Back