Teaching English Without Experience

The best easy money jobs are ones that you're naturally good at. What are your skills?

This is good advice, but the OP could also be "naturally good" at teaching English. That is something that he/she needs to figure out. The OP should ask him/herself: Am I outgoing/charismatic? Can I relate to people of all ages? Am I informed on an array of topics? (Business, economics, politics, etc.) Am I able to ask questions and moderate discussions, almost as if I were a journalist doing an interview? (For conversation lessons) Am I able to assess a client's needs and tailor the lessons accordingly?

For a client, grammar knowledge, teaching expertise and lesson planning come in last. They are very important areas. However, based on my experience, language learners don't base their decision to study with a particular teacher on them.

You know, in Buenos Aires it's so easy to get a job.....as an english speaker...

I still get regular job offers through agencies from there......there are SO many companies who will hire you and need you just because you are a native English speaker. My experience with teaching english here back in the day was that it was more trouble than it was worth. BUT...you need to get good at speaking spanish as well....a point that all too often to many ex-pats overlook unforutnately. You also need to make lot's of friends and connections. Don't underestimate the power of networking here...ALOT of opportunities will come through "who you know" in Argentina.

Back in the day I went to one English teaching "institute" and they wanted me to offer a course on speaking english and teaching american style slang etc. But the problem was ( of course ) they wanted to pay me all in "negro" ( work under the table, way below minimum and without declaring earnings to the gov't, no paid holidays, bonuses nothing ) and WAAAY below the minimum salary "sueldo minimo" like barely $1000 pesos a month.... you can't even pay a fraction of your rent with that LOL! Even the guys sweeping trash off of the streets here get at least $5,000 - $7,000 pesos a month ( that's minimum in BA now right..I'm not sure? ) and bonuses and all the legal benefits that by law you are supposed to receive.

Jobs, employment anything business related here, you need to be assertive and not passive because they'll walk all over you....I mean it. It's always sketchy and they'll jerk you around if given the chance, ( especially trabajo en negro ) even if it's just a few little details or out of a few pesos..... they'll get you somewhere...it's the way things roll here and argentines know how to deal with it. So, I said no way and never looked back. Needless to say the English institute closed about a year later... Look, in Argentina, something like 35 - 40% of all employment here in Argentina is in "negro" it's a nightmare, so you need to be aware of that. ALOT of this kind of work, teaching in English, it's going to be usually very low pay, no benefits and in "negro" it's unfortunate but the way it is. You'll even be lucky some months if you get paid on time, let alone "at all". I know this because of my own experiences and other expats I know who went through the same thing. This is just the reality here...

If they see a foreigner coming who doesn't know the language or the "lay of the land" "rules on the street" here....you're gonna get hosed. Employment is a touchy issue here...usually problematic at best...good companies are harder and harder to find.

So, later, I tried advertising and teaching from home, here theres no accountability and little responsibility. This was even worse, half the time people could only pay me half, or told me "I can't pay you this lesson but I'll pay you the next one" ........of course I never got paid, or I didn't get paid until a month later, usually only after calling or hounding them to bring me the money. The classes I scheduled at months end were the worst... ALWAYS issues. Students constantly came late or called to cancel or reschedule, usually last minute.....it was a nightmare, I did it for a few months and said that was it.

Then my spanish begin to really improve ( thanks to my wife and family ) and I quickly discovered how easy it was to offer my services in english to alot of decent companies looking for and needing native english speakers, and all trabajo en "blanco" ( fair salary, declared to the gov't, taxes paid as well as paid holidays etc.. ) some of it even working from home. So I found that and I never looked back. I would recommend NOT teaching english, at least not to make a living, it's just too much trouble here and it doesn't pay....I'm sorry to break it to you but it's the honest truth.

From the kind of feedback this post has provided, it seems that teaching english is the worst option. This would be worse if I was working in the black.

When you say "trabajo blanco", that is the work that I am looking for. Right now, I am in the process of obtaining my student visa and then my DNI. Somebody here asked wha kind of person I am- I'm the kind of guy the will bust his ass for something he wants.

I love to exercise and lift weights; deadlifts, squats, bench you name it. Applying to a gym would be a fun job and, w/ the documentation, be in the white. However, something that utilizes my ability english (tourist hotel) might be easier to land.

I love to exercise and lift weights; deadlifts, squats, bench you name it. Applying to a gym would be a fun job and,

Did you consider advertising yourself as a personal trainer for expats. There are lot of expat men who are working as personal trainers..and easily earning 6-8k pesos a month with few hours of work daily.

You don't have to apply for a gym job. Just write it here and you would get queries for sure.

Many people are keen to do deadlift and squats but have fear of poor form/injuries etc and thats where you fit in.

If I was you, I would think on those lines!

You know, I've lifted for a few years and had a huge passion about strength and nutrition. It might be a good time to turn that hobby into a source of living.

You're 18 years old. At this stage of your life, you have much more to learn than to teach. Get an education, then we can talk about teaching jobs.

It's extremely easy finding teaching jobs without experience in Buenos Aires. Just look on Craigslist buenos aires and you'll see, English Native Teacher wanted. Reply to all the ads you see on Craig'slist and you'll have interviews everyday.

Now the trick is getting what you want. These interviews are not really them interviewing you, rather you interviewing them. You want a professional company that is willing to pay you good money, now good money in Argentina basically means just above getting screwed. You'll be paid under the table, usually at the beginning of the month in cash.

More than likely you will teach conversation classes which are easy because you just talk. Although it is best to adapt your class to the needs of the students, even though it's conversation, have a good game plan.

I've been doing that for over a year and even though I have classes, I am constantly asking my company to give me more classes. And even though inflation has gone up, the pay has stayed the same, in other words, you are not going to make any money, all your money will go to groceries. But like Bill Murray says, it's supplemental income.
Good luck

You're 18 years old. At this stage of your life, you have much more to learn than to teach. Get an education, then we can talk about teaching jobs.

Whether you're 18 or 65, you will always have more to learn than to teach. If you believe otherwise, you'll spend your life eating substantial portions of humble pie.

Teaching is a lot like anything else. You learn it by doing it. If it's something that interests you, give it a shot. If you fail, so what? Learn from it, and do something else.

Too much negativity in your recent posts. All well in your personal life?

Back