Teatro Colon

If they were sold out the first day they were probably bought up by agencies and individuals looking to make a profit. I have a feeling they were sold before the box office ever opened.

At the Metropolitan in NYC there are opportunities to buy last minute tickets either at the box office (cancellations) or outside from individuals who just want to sell because their husband/wife/significant other...etc. didn't or couldn't show up. Is this a possibility for opening night at the Colon? Is this a custom here?

The Metropolitan is extremely, extremely well organized. The Colon has always been chaotic. What will happen is this: Once the box office opens there MAY be a few leftover tickets for the operas but don't count on it. This is the reopening after several years and a lot of people will be interested in attending. What you MAY find are a few tickets for the obscure operas that few people will want to see. I suspect that whatever tickets are left over will be bought up by speculators (or Colon employees) and sold at a profit to agencies who in turn will sell the tickets at a huge markup. Your best chance of getting in will probably be to look for a concert of the Philharmonic. Also cheaper. I hope I am wrong about the difficulty of getting tickets this year but I don't think so. Also keep in mind that ticket prices this year, at least subscriptions, exceed Metropolitan Opera prices. Individual tickets are usually more expensive than subscriptions divided by the number of performances. Also, there will probably be individuals selling tickets in front of the Colon an hour or so before the performance.

You can go check out the Great Colon on the night of the 24th from 7:00pm on. Just check out:

twitter.com/teatrocolon

I know these things because I take mass transit.

sergio said:
The Metropolitan is extremely, extremely well organized. The Colon has always been chaotic. What will happen is this: Once the box office opens there MAY be a few leftover tickets for the operas but don't count on it. This is the reopening after several years and a lot of people will be interested in attending. What you MAY find are a few tickets for the obscure operas that few people will want to see. I suspect that whatever tickets are left over will be bought up by speculators (or Colon employees) and sold at a profit to agencies who in turn will sell the tickets at a huge markup. Your best chance of getting in will probably be to look for a concert of the Philharmonic. Also cheaper. I hope I am wrong about the difficulty of getting tickets this year but I don't think so. Also keep in mind that ticket prices this year, at least subscriptions, exceed Metropolitan Opera prices. Individual tickets are usually more expensive than subscriptions divided by the number of performances. Also, there will probably be individuals selling tickets in front of the Colon an hour or so before the performance.

I will be in NYC in September. Perhaps I will just save my "mangos" and go to the opening there....but I sure would like to see all the whoop-de-do at the Colon, even if it means paying top Peso. Where do these speculators usually post their wares -- for the opening night ticket? Nothing on Craigslist that I could see. Mercado libre is selling obonos at outrageous numbers -- even by a city girls' standards.

Don't waste your mangos on the opening night at the Met unless you are really eager to see celebrities. For $20 you can get one of the BEST seats in the house, thanks to generous benefactors who have set aside a few hundred prime seats for opera lovers who are willing to line up starting around 5 PM for Monday to Thursday evening performances. You aren't likely to get any ticket for the opening here. If you really want, ask around for the names of theatre ticket agencies. I remember some ads in La Nacion in the past. If a good seat for the COLON opera this season normally sells for something like $250 dollars, imagine how much a scalper is going to charge to resell it!

The celebrity watch at the MET is fun to see, and with some good haggling and luck I might even end up with a parterre seat for 50 USD. The 20 USD ticket is a long waiting line; better to pay a few extra dollars to someone who did that and doesn't want to go.
I am giving up the Colon for opening night but might just join the celebrity watch from outside the door (do they have a red or blue carpet here?). I have found a single ticket to La Boheme (not really my favorite) a little later in the season. Thanks Sergio!

Yes, I would love to hear how others are managing to get single show tickets to the opera, especially!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Expat Life 0
S Culture 0
B Expat Life 7
M Expat Life 6
Jose Negro Expat Life 0
Back