Temporarily Moving To Ba In The Spring

rebeccag

Registered
Hello! I'm new to the forum, and I wanted to introduce myself before I dive in and start asking too many questions. :) My name is Rebecca, and I'm originally from Tennessee but have lived in Seattle the past four years. I'm an attorney and a freelance travel writer. I am planning to move away from Seattle in the Spring and want to spend three months in Buenos Aires - trying to improve my poor Spanish with immersion classes and enjoying the culture - before settling down in either NYC or DC. I have just started my research process for this temporary move to BA, and I will likely have a lot of questions so bear with me. Happy to have found the forum!

Welcome Rebecca from Tennessee by way of Seattle with a law degree and a fun hobby.

You will need strong will power to "immerse" yourself in Spanish if you come to Buenos Aires. Also, you will have to relearn some verb tenses that are only used in Argentine, most of Uruguay, and a smattering of spots in lower Central America. You may also get thrown by the completely wacky pronunciation that sounds like virtually no other Spanish that you've ever heard.

But it's fun. Hopefully it will expand your ability to understand various Spanish accents.

I want to make a suggestion BEFORE you "dive in and start asking too many questions."

PLEASE USE THE "SEARCH" FUNCTION FOR ANY AND ALL QUESTIONS THAT YOU MAY HAVE.

Then... then you should come here to ask any questions that haven't already been answered.

The pluses are that there's no waiting for someone with the knowledge to hopefully respond, because it's all there. And some of the responses are from people who don't even live here anymore and therefore don't follow this board anymore, but that doesn't make them any less pertinent.

Just want to say that the Jacaranda trees are blooming right now and the most important polo tournament in the world is currently being held, but that's just spring in Buenos Aires. Read up, look around, and then come back with your questions.

Bienvenido!

I think Spring she probably means May/June next year, as we all know spring in BA is a blink and you miss it affair, so if only in the research stages now I doubt she'll arrive before it's over!

I think Spring she probably means May/June next year, as we all know spring in BA is a blink and you miss it affair, so if only in the research stages now I doubt she'll arrive before it's over!

If you tend to blink for about 2 to 3 months, then yes, spring here is a "Blink and you miss it." kind of place.

It basically starts in early September and only lasts until the end of November. 3 months... with a smattering of summer days in between as well as a smattering of spring days in December.

(Best not to blink if you wear thick mascara and your eyelashes tend to stick together for months at a time.)

As I said above, it's too bad that you're not here for the ARGENTINE Spring. Various trees bloom from the start of October until mid-late November. Polo lasts into the first or second weekend in December. (Some days are hot and other days you need a sweater and or scarf... kind of like in "SRPING".)

You'll be getting here in time for kids going back to school, traffic exploding, but the Palo Borracho trees will be blowing up with their pink blooms that start in late February and last well into April. (Like spring, fall is at least 3 months... so again, if you wear gloppy mascara that seals your eyes shut for 3 months at a time...)

Read the previous threads and then fire away.

Back