Can the building decide to revoke the right to rent out apartments temporarily ?

PaulBee

Registered
My property manager tells me the consorcio perhaps could revoke my right to rent my unit
out short term. I am not sure what to think as he sometimes says odd things. The
original documents for the condo don´t prohibit short term rentals, so in theory I should
be able to. My property manager says it is mandatory to post short term rentals with
the city, so the consorcio may have the right to stop that, as the original documents
are decades old. Thoughts would be appreciated. I rented out short term prior to COVID
and there were no problems.

The consorcio may decide to regulate rental policies on issues such as Pets, Children and term of contracts.

My property manager tells me the consorcio perhaps could revoke my right to rent my unit
out short term. I am not sure what to think as he sometimes says odd things. The
original documents for the condo don´t prohibit short term rentals, so in theory I should
be able to. My property manager says it is mandatory to post short term rentals with
the city, so the consorcio may have the right to stop that, as the original documents
are decades old. Thoughts would be appreciated. I rented out short term prior to COVID
and there were no problems.
Thank you.

In an asamblea a consorcio can revoke temp rentals, however they would need 100% of the owners to be present and voting on the matter, which is something I have never witnessed.

In an asamblea a consorcio can revoke temp rentals, however they would need 100% of the owners to be present and voting on the matter, which is something I have never witnessed.
I am an owner. If I was the only owner not present, then I would retain my right to rent the unit out temporarily ?

Thanks as always Nikad.

I am an owner. If I was the only owner not present, then I would retain my right to rent the unit out temporarily ?

Thanks as always Nikad.
Exactly, anything that affects the original condo rules must be voted by all owners. Also there have been many rulings supporting the owner's right to rent out his property long or short term, unless it is specifically forbidden within the condo rules. If the building rules forbid temp rentals they can sue you over it.

Last edited:
I have been renting short term for many years and never had a problem in fact I have a flat I rent on Airbnb

Exactly, anything that affects the original condo rules must be voted by all owners. Also there have been many rulings supporting the owner's right to rent out his property long or short term, unless it is specifically forbidden within the condo rules. If the building rules forbid temp rentals they can sue you over it.
Thanks. You know more than my property manager does.

If I had a problem in the future I would talk to a lawyer I know that what is not specifically forbidden is accepted. I have been renting out for a long time. What is written in the consorcio document is very important but if it doesn't say that short rentals are forbidden unless these rentals really bother people and make their lives miserable but if that is not the point there shouldn't be any problem.

If I had a problem in the future I would talk to a lawyer I know that what is not specifically forbidden is accepted. I have been renting out for a long time. What is written in the consorcio document is very important but if it doesn't say that short rentals are forbidden unless these rentals really bother people and make their lives miserable but if that is not the point there shouldn't be any problem.
Thanks for that info !

Back