Tesol/tesl/tefl English Teacher Certification- Worth It??

When I saw the thread title, I was asking myself "which TEFL course?" because there are many. For example, in UK/Europe, only 2 major ones are worth the time to do, basically Cambridge Celta and Trinity College TESOL. I myself did the Trinity College Cert and then the Diploma, which is what you need if you want to be a director of studies, that type of thing. Yes, there are many more but I've worked in about a dozen schools across Europe and none of them accepted anything but the big two. Maybe here is different.

Here is a handy guide to TEFL certs: http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2006/nov/30/tefl

Then I read the thread and have seen it's an online course. An online teaching course. !!

Coming soon, online airline pilot courses and online firefighting courses. This course will be a lot of cutesy theory, lot of reading and big serious-looking essay assignments. What it won't do is teach you to teach.

This is the key quote from that Guardian article:

Employers will always look first for prior teaching experience. In the absence of this, the importance placed on a good Tefl course will depend on the employer's general awareness of the courses available

Personally, if I was recruiting teachers, I would give zero importance to an online course, but I'm not the person you need to satisfy :)

Hey for seventy bucks, go for it. You learn to be a teacher in the classroom anyway. If it helps you get your foot in the door, it might be worth it. But be aware that that's all it is, an entry fee to a few school owners' offices, not the classroom itself.

Hi Esllou, You bring up some very good points. I read the Guardian article and am now looking at the course's website, I realize they do not have any of the typical classroom training hours that are required for a course to be 'legitimate'. I'm going to give them a call today to see what they say in response to my inquiry about how accredited they really are ;)
However, as I think about the other posters comments about the teaching market in BA and knowledge of my own classroom skills and experience (many years as a group and private tutor, camp counselor, child care), I believe I would be fine in a classroom once I am equipped with the knowledge of how to structure a course and begin teaching English from (potentially) step 1. If schools see I have a certification and I can convince them I have enough applicable experience to 'take a chance on me', I think I should be able to get my foot in the door and begin teaching. Now, only to see how well this works in practice, not only in theory! haha

Okay, cool! Yeah, my gut says to go for it...really can't be hurtful if I decide to pursue teaching.

Oh and if anyone else is interested, the course is online and can be purchased from anywhere! $69 for 150 hours of training and the certificate- $69 for a 150-Hour Online TESOL-Certification Course from TESOLS.com ($599 Value)
http://www.groupon.c...mail/uu10140454

Unless it's a Trinity or Cambridge CELTA it won't even be worth $69. Those two providers include assessed teaching practice which is why they charge around $1000. No school in the world will care a hoot about a TEFL Cert, which doesn't include assessed teaching. You may as well not bother.

Thank you all for the input. I will definitely be buying it and beginning the course!

Jaredberryman- I know this is a longshot considering I have not even begun the course yet, but would you mind if I reached out to you when I have arrived to BA and completed the training? It sounds like you know the market for teachers very well and I will undoubtedly need some more guidance once I am ready to begin teaching.

Thanks again, everyone!

[email protected]

Hi Sarah,
I am in the same situation as you and was wondering, 5 months later, was it worth it to buy this course?
Thank you and hope you're having the time of your life in BA!
Ursula

I have to second what pompeygazza said. A $69 TEFL ONLINE Certification and nothing is basically the same thing. Unless it's CELTA or the American equivalent (150 hours assessed teaching course), it's going to be worthless. I took CELTA back in December and it's a tough course, It required teaching real students, having a very intensive workload and proving you can manage both time and class preparation, as well as establishing rapport and being able to manage a classroom. My certification cost me almost 2 K so I can't tell if having whatever certification you have is going to be worth your time.

Hey,

So I was wondering what did you think about this Groupon course?!? I am about to buy it as well and can find nowhere online that has a review like you said... actually I really just want to know if it will actually really take 150 hours to complete :)

Thanks!

Claire

Back