Thai restaurant in the centro

thuy.ashtango said:
Is there any "real" ethnic food anywhere? Really, the only way you're going to get authentic ethnic cuisine is to go to that region, or know someone who grew up with the food. Barring those options, all we can really do is take the closest versions we can find and continue to patronize the ethnic restaurants we like in BA so they stay open and to encourage others to open as well.

The better Thai place I've been to here is Lotus Neo Thai -- now located in Barrio Chino.

I agree with Thuy here -- but Empire Thai was run by an American I think, not a local and I don't think it is/was the best one to patronize!

I went once to this restaurant and never again . Horrible food with baby portions . I saw the manager he looked liked he ate all the food and left the small leftovers for his patrons.

thuy.ashtango said:
Is there any "real" ethnic food anywhere? Really, the only way you're going to get authentic ethnic cuisine is to go to that region, or know someone who grew up with the food. Barring those options, all we can really do is take the closest versions we can find and continue to patronize the ethnic restaurants we like in BA so they stay open and to encourage others to open as well.

Both Cocina Sunae (pan asian) and Casa Mun are pretty authentic ethnic (puerta cerrada) restaurants here, in my opinion. Sunae learned from her Korean grandmother, and is an Asian American who went on to have a career in the NYC restaurant industry before moving here and opening up her own place. Last time I went she had just returned from Thailand where I know she stocked up on ingredients.

Casa Mun is also run by a Korean gentleman who learned from his Korean mother and also learned SE Asian styles while living in Hawaii, was a sushi chef and also has restaurant experiece from Los Angeles and NYC and whose restaurant caters mainly to Korean, Chinese, Japanese and California-fusion cuisine.

Anyway, both are worth checking out. Green Bamboo is pretty good but not really authentic and definitely overpriced. Sud Estada is also pretty good, but their lunch menu is definitely where the deal is.

Then again, I've been so disappointed in general by the price vs. quality in the bulk of restaurants here that I have doe a lot of experimentation cooking at home, and turns out you can create several of meals while learning at home for the same price of one meal out. I made a pretty damn good Pad See Ew last night, something that I never knew how to make before being forced into experimentation here. :p

You might want to try the Gibraltar Pub, in San Telmo at Peru 895.

They have a pretty nice Thai menu. The owner is quite proud of his culinary skill.

At night is is crowded with tourists from hostels, but by day is it tranquil.

PharohOKnaughty said:
You might want to try the Gibraltar Pub, in San Telmo at Peru 895.

They have a pretty nice Thai menu. The owner is quite proud of his culinary skill.

At night is is crowded with tourists from hostels, but by day is it tranquil.

Oh gosh, last time I ordered anything resembling Thai at Gibralter it was a total disaster (I think it was their pad thai). Gross. The curry might be better. Bangalore curries aren't bad...

I found the Gibraltar curries to be very average at best. A good curry in that area can be had at Mash. Probably one of the best (if not the) curries in the city.

Even in Thailand getting "real" Thai food is not so easy as it used to be. There is a chef (I think British) that complained about that and Thai people got very angry with him, but still is considered to be the best chef for Thai food (he has a restaurant in Bangkok), since he took the old recipes from old Thai people and this is what he cooks.

empire thai is closed!! totally abandoned

if you take the first left, then the next first left, there is a new thai food place..its bright and shiney kind of like the mcdonalds of thai food

it tastes absolutely horrible. but the girls who work there are quite cute

marksoc said:
Even in Thailand getting "real" Thai food is not so easy as it used to be. There is a chef (I think British) that complained about that and Thai people got very angry with him, but still is considered to be the best chef for Thai food (he has a restaurant in Bangkok), since he took the old recipes from old Thai people and this is what he cooks.

The mango tree in Bagkok still works for me...even if the UK etc versions are gone to the wind...one of THE best Thai restaurants ever is in Buzios..all great Thai restaurants should be in places with excellent beaches.

Looking for any current recommendations for authentic Thai food in the city. Anybody have a good recommendation?

Back