Thai restaurant in the centro

Doctor_Stupid said:
empire thai is closed!! totally abandoned

Update on this - Empire Thai is indeed closed, but a restaurant in the same place (Tres Sargentos y Reconquista in Microcenter) serving "Thai" food opened up in its spot recently. In fact, I ate there with a friend last night.

I can't remember the exact name, it's something like "Kurfir Thai" (memory's not that good, unfortunately!). As I understand it, the expat partnership that owned Empire broke up and one of the partners reopened it under the new name.

Not exactly "authentic" Thai, but not bad for something different if you live close by or are in the neighborhood (I wouldn't recommend going out of your way to come eat there), although it's a bit expensive. Our meal was 270 pesos for two including a mixed satay appetizer (6 very tender and juicy, fairly tasty meat "kabobs"), Pad Thai (86 pesos) and another similar plate, and one desert, two sodas.

They can certainly make some hot and spicy dishes, which can be refreshing to those who like spice in their food.

Was just thinking of posting about this.

There's a newish Thai place just off Reconquista, between Cordoba and Paraguay. It's hard to spot, on the other side of the bar called Barbaro. I didn't eat their because the prices where really high for thai food, it seemed like 70 pesos or something for an entree.

However, if you keep walking down Reconquista, on the Corner of Paraguay is a thai fast food place that's bright orange. I got take out from there. Pad thai with shrimp. It was pretty decent, I could recognize it as Thai food, which is about all that I ask in BA. Nice thing is it was spicy enough without me having to ask. Was about 40 pesos.

Green Bamboo is yummy as are their cocktails but quite expensive. Vietnamese style..

HeyBA said:
Was just thinking of posting about this.

There's a newish Thai place just off Reconquista, between Cordoba and Paraguay. It's hard to spot, on the other side of the bar called Barbaro. I didn't eat their because the prices where really high for thai food, it seemed like 70 pesos or something for an entree.

This is Keffir Lime that was mentioned above. Its okay, but expensive, as mentioned. I love Thai food, and I am also pretty critical after living in Asia for two years. We have resorted to making our curries at home.

I second the "like" on Green Bamboo. Green Curry in Microcentro is another good one, and friendly people too. Sudestada in Palermo is also good Asian inspired food.

My biggest complaint with all of these places is not using rice noodles (in pho and pad thai). I understand this is probably an availablity issue, so I just stick with the rice dishes now.

I go to the bright orange place once a fortnight or so to take away lunch

It's not totally horrible and its about half the price of other thai food places in BS AS so its allright

Back