Thanksgiving Dinner Recommendations

cuore

Registered
Hi everyone!
My boyfriend and I met one year ago at a Thanksgiving dinner of another expat girl who's now living in Chile. So I was thinking on going to a restaurant or something to revive it. Do any of you know a good place with a Thanksgiving dinner for us to go? Thanks!!!!

The American Club of Buenos Aires is having a Thanksgiving luncheon too.

To the OP- Since this Thanksgiving will have personal meaning to the two of you, would you consider attempting a dinner at home? Even if it's not perfect with all the trimmings, it'd probably be very sweet and more personal than just a crowded restaurants.

I know that finding (and cooking!) a turkey here would be a real challenge, but perhaps you could think of an alternative way to make it a "Thanksgiving al estilo porteño"? Potatoes, sweet potatoes, corn, and some veggies can be found here, for example. Perhaps you could think of your own favorite dishes, even if they are not "traditional"... I don't know, just a suggestion, but worth considering! :)

I am mentioning this because last Thanksgiving was the first one I celebrated with my husband during our first year of marriage. We ate with my in-laws, and I explained that we have a tradition of going around and each person says what they are really thankful for, it was super-sweet! We all had a great deal to be thankful for!

To make this "imperfect" Thanksgiving dinner beyond perfect was my mother-in-law and her good intentions! She baked a chicken since turkey was too difficult to get a hold of. I also saw her cooking a blueberry sauce on the stove top. I asked her if we were going to eat it with ice cream. "No," she told me. "I read that in the US, you guys eat turkey with blueberry sauce." Hahaha! I can't say I blame her, I looked in various dictionaries and on Wordreference.com, and "cranberry" in Spanish is only translated as "blueberry," which is NOT the same thing!!! :)

So as a family, we at a Porteño-style Thanksgiving, with the main dish being chicken with blueberry sauce! Jaja! In my opinion, that TRUMPS Kansas or any other Thanksgiving celebration down here!

It is really easy to find whole turkey in BA.
You can actually find everything for a traditional Thanksgiving meal with the exception of cranberries.
You used to be able to get canned berries, but I doubt you can this year. Otherwise, everything is easily accessible.

I was thinking about going to Kansas for a take-away thanksgiving menu.

The American Club of Buenos Aires is having a Thanksgiving luncheon too.

I checked on their website but couldn't find anything this year :( I'll be working all day so it would have to be dinner, Argie time. Thank you!!

To the OP- Since this Thanksgiving will have personal meaning to the two of you, would you consider attempting a dinner at home? Even if it's not perfect with all the trimmings, it'd probably be very sweet and more personal than just a crowded restaurants.

I know that finding (and cooking!) a turkey here would be a real challenge, but perhaps you could think of an alternative way to make it a "Thanksgiving al estilo porteño"? Potatoes, sweet potatoes, corn, and some veggies can be found here, for example. Perhaps you could think of your own favorite dishes, even if they are not "traditional"... I don't know, just a suggestion, but worth considering! :)

I am mentioning this because last Thanksgiving was the first one I celebrated with my husband during our first year of marriage. We ate with my in-laws, and I explained that we have a tradition of going around and each person says what they are really thankful for, it was super-sweet! We all had a great deal to be thankful for!

To make this "imperfect" Thanksgiving dinner beyond perfect was my mother-in-law and her good intentions! She baked a chicken since turkey was too difficult to get a hold of. I also saw her cooking a blueberry sauce on the stove top. I asked her if we were going to eat it with ice cream. "No," she told me. "I read that in the US, you guys eat turkey with blueberry sauce." Hahaha! I can't say I blame her, I looked in various dictionaries and on Wordreference.com, and "cranberry" in Spanish is only translated as "blueberry," which is NOT the same thing!!! :)

So as a family, we at a Porteño-style Thanksgiving, with the main dish being chicken with blueberry sauce! Jaja! In my opinion, that TRUMPS Kansas or any other Thanksgiving celebration down here!
I was thinking about going to Kansas for a take-away thanksgiving menu.

Thank you so much Lauren. I really appreciate your input. Your mother in law is so sweet!
I wanted to make dinner myself, believe me, I love cooking. But between my job and class I knew ahead I was not gonna have the time to do it this week.
I love your suggestions. I'll definitely consider them

She had the right idea! The last time I made Thanksgiving dinner in BA, I used a cranberry substitute recommended on this site. You basically just cook blueberries with orange juice in a saucepan until it reaches desired consistency. The BF's Argie family loved it! It still went really well with the turkey. Here is the post:

CRANBERRIES! (arandanos rojos)

It says to add one cup of sugar but I found it was way too sweet, I'd add only about a quarter cup.

Back to original topic, I went to the Magdalena's Party Thanksgiving dinner last year. They seated us at one big table, family style, which was fun! The food was great, but check to make sure the wine glasses aren't dusty ;)

Back