The $5 peso bill is being replaced by the $5 peso coin

The 1 cent coin in still widely used in the US. Sorry to pop your bubble.
Only because it exists. Canada got rid of their penny a few years ago with no consequences except you don't have to carry the damn things around. It costs more than a penny to mint a penny.

Only because it exists. Canada got rid of their penny a few years ago with no consequences except you don't have to carry the damn things around. It costs more than a penny to mint a penny.
Canada is not the US. If you don't like pennies, feel free to throw them out. I don't throw any coins out.

By whom? I've been throwing them in the garbage for years.
Perhaps you will reconsider for a few reasons. First, throwing away money is of questionable legality. Second, penny production is financed by all of us Americans who pay taxes, so to discard a penny is to discard shared taxpayer resources. In other words, we have all paid for it - what gives any one person the right to discard it, never to be used again? Third, when the penny is removed from circulation, the government will melt them down and use the metals for a productive purpose. My own personal view is that arbitrarily discarding shared american resources is an unamerican act.

exactly. there is no practical use for the penny anymore. it should be done away with.

I value money quite a bit, which is why I don't value pennies.:)
Well, as the saying goes, "a fool and his money are soon parted". So, where do you stop next? Throwing out nickles as they are only 5 cents? Maybe toss those pesky dimes as they're so small it's easy to loose them? To each his own. Throw out what you care to as it's yours to toss but remember another adage "one man's trash is another man's treasure". Enjoy and when you start tossing more coins or those almost worthless $1 notes (and of course the $2's) let me know. I'll grab a few.

Well, as the saying goes, "a fool and his money are soon parted". So, where do you stop next? Throwing out nickles as they are only 5 cents? Maybe toss those pesky dimes as they're so small it's easy to loose them? To each his own. Throw out what you care to as it's yours to toss but remember another adage "one man's trash is another man's treasure". Enjoy and when you start tossing more coins or those almost worthless $1 notes (and of course the $2's) let me know. I'll grab a few.
I'll be more than happy to alert you as to when the best time is to hand search my garbage bin.

Back