the applicator!!!!!

The subject of tampons here in Argentina is indeed a frustrating one. In fact, some time ago I felt compelled to write a blog post about it which you may find amusing.

I've had my family send me tampons in care packages. One time, my stepmom used them to cushion the rest of the contents of the package, as if they were packing peanuts or bubble wrap. When the customs agent opened the box to examine the contents and saw the tampons right there on top, he didn't even attempt to look at the rest of what was in the box. Those tampons were like kryptonite to Superman. LOL

Hi girls, I have a question sort of on this subject, what brand of feminine pads would you recomend here in Argentina, preferably one with out perfume. Thanks!!

What the heck??

You take a few months off of using tampons to have a child and now suddenly the applicators are all gone?!?! yeeshh.. gotta get a care package in the works!

legilber said:
What the heck??

You take a few months off of using tampons to have a child and now suddenly the applicators are all gone?!?! yeeshh.. gotta get a care package in the works!

lol, sorry but you've had a child! You're obviously not a teenager getting their first period. During your pregnancy you will have had more strangers than you thought possible poke and prod your vagina, and during labour and delivery there were probably a lot more people in the room getting a good look at your private parts than you ever thought was necessary! And now you're complaining because of no applicators??? LOL sorry, but c'mon -- getting used to OB with no applicator should be no big deal at this point in the game! And like the woman from Italy above, I bet you'll even become a convert -- I know I have, as has any woman I've met who didn't bother ever going through the hassle of ordering them in from abroad. They really are the best, and they're better for the environment as well -- no plastic applicators to throw away.

Speaking of OB -- here's a funny fact -- did you know that the sizes here are not the same as in other countries? Or at least Canada vs Argentina. I bought some OB in Canada and had some left over here -- and when you put them side by side there's a huge difference.

The Argentine supers are way bigger than the Canadian super -- in fact the Argentine regular/medium is about the same as a Canadian super! I've never thought to compare American and Canadian tampons so don't know if there is a size difference there, but maybe for those of you that aren'[t so thrilled with the product need to buy a size smaller here than you would at home. It's kind of scary the difference in the size!

syngirl said:
lol, sorry but you've had a child! LOL sorry, but c'mon -- getting used to OB with no applicator should be no big deal at this point in the game! And like the woman from Italy above, I bet you'll even become a convert -- I know I have, as has any woman I've met who didn't bother ever going through the hassle of ordering them in from abroad. They really are the best, and they're better for the environment as well -- no plastic applicators to throw away.

Gotta agree with you here, syngirl. I first experienced this situation in the Netherlands while studying abroad almost 10 years ago. Of course I thought it was gross at first (I hadn't even known the OB type of tampon existed), but didn't think twice about it after realizing it was just what I was going to have to do! I don't want to judge women who rely on applicators, but I'll never understand the fuss. Sorry, but your applicator is right there on your hand...pick any out of the 10 that works best for you and then wash and reuse!

syngirl said:
Speaking of OB -- here's a funny fact -- did you know that the sizes here are not the same as in other countries? Or at least Canada vs Argentina. I bought some OB in Canada and had some left over here -- and when you put them side by side there's a huge difference.

The Argentine supers are way bigger than the Canadian super -- in fact the Argentine regular/medium is about the same as a Canadian super! I've never thought to compare American and Canadian tampons so don't know if there is a size difference there, but maybe for those of you that aren'[t so thrilled with the product need to buy a size smaller here than you would at home. It's kind of scary the difference in the size!

There has to be joke about porteñas in there somewhere.

Hahaha too funny... It's not the whole application process nor relying on it, it's just simply a preference. Pretty sure I'm the LAST person to be modest about well... Anything!

Just surprised at where the heck everything has gone ;)

I think a care package with baby stuff and tampons will be excellent for the Argie mail system!!

Also that's surprising that the Canadian/American ones were smaller!? Especially since this is a regular occurrence...
stay-focused

http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/12820/stay-focused/

my gf had the same problem 2 weeks ago, and bought (sorry if i am wrong) a pack of "shorter" tampons at the rx. not the real skinny ones, but they came in a pack about 5" wide, 6" high.

unfortunately, she isn't here, so i cant ask here exactly what kind, but she said they worked out nicely as a temporary fix.

OK Ladies... I too have HAD to become a convert to OB since being down here. Actually, after getting over admittedly just a little bit of aversion (and I am a nurse from the States! ;) ) to the non-applicator ummmm ... "presentation" I found them very easy to insert and quite confortable. What I like best is because they are so compact I can fit all I need into my purse or pockets!

As far as the post on size, believe it or not there is science to that and it is based on anatomy. I did a gig a few years ago for J&J The States and they are manufactured based on regional sizes. Anatomically and specifically gynecologically speaking, women´s measurements are different in regions of the world. For instance the Tampax brand is shorter and thinner in Japan than in North America. If your GYN has ever done an echo or a ¨ruler¨ measurement of your depth and width of your vagina (which he or she should) this scientific information is used to help manufacturers determine tampon size. They actually do exams and surveys on their own and the women are well paid for their services!

As for any jokes about portenas, well, there´s probably a zillion we could think of, but it would be in conflict with all the histerica jokes as well! As my portena friends watch as I right this. As to jokes about portenOs, as one friend just put it, one would think it ¨that¨influenced anything, the size would NOT be larger!

Now, I have a serious personal question since we are discussing intimate women´s needs. Does anyone know where a good old fashioned enema bag can be bought in this city? I have been to literally dozens of pharmacies and supply houses, and all they have is the Enemol which is like a Fleets, or this pitcher like contraption which I am currently using but it just isn´t the same, and pardon the pun ¨a pain in the arse¨ to use. If anyone knows where I can get just a good old fashioned enema bag or even a combination douche/enema bag would be so cool! I have found hot water bottles but no enemas! Any help greatly appreciated!

BTW ... this whole thread on the search for applicator tampons reminds me of the Seinfeld SPONGE episode!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
nikad Women's Forum 1