The Argentinian consulate in Lima gave me some sort of residency

Fiscal

Registered
Still in Lima, and my on again off again Argentinian significant other with our child got a flight booked back via the embassy and some company called Easy Jet. She asked them if I could get on the flight. They said no because I wasn't a resident. Then she called someone in the consulate. That person said, actually I am already a resident. Which is news to me. Last year I filled out an application on Radex online but I was never assigned an interview and no one sent me anything else.

So I went to the consulate today, paid $40, and they gave me a document with a stamp saying I'm a resident and can travel to Argentina.

Congratulations on your resident status! And also for getting through a very tough family situation. Not all couples survive the difficulties of these strange and trying times.

Thanks for keeping us posted. Best of luck to you and your family.

Last edited:
Still in Lima, and my on again off again Argentinian significant other with our child got a flight booked back via the embassy and some company called Easy Jet. She asked them if I could get on the flight. They said no because I wasn't a resident. Then she called someone in the consulate. That person said, actually I am already a resident. Which is news to me. Last year I filled out an application on Radex online but I was never assigned an interview and no one sent me anything else.

So I went to the consulate today, paid $40, and they gave me a document with a stamp saying I'm a resident and can travel to Argentina.
Hey Fiscal,

Hang in there, don't give up! This is great news!

That sounded... anti-climactic.

Here’s wishing you that the family issues resolve themselves in a similarly anti-climactic - but satisfactory and satisfying - manner.

Did you already have a dni? I didn't know this but I could have flown back on my extranjero dni months before I actually did.

If you have a DNI, that means you reside in Argentina. Ergo you can enter the country.

While we all complain about the ad hoc and improvisational nature of much of law enforcement in Argentina, it's heartening when it works in your favor. I can only imagine the relief you feel after being stuck in Lima for 4-5 months.

I'm really confused because, in fact, when I filled out the radex form, checking my old emails, I got this back:

1Un controlador de Migraciones verificará los datos y remitirá a su correo electrónico su cita de presentación ante el organismo a fin de tomarle las huellas digitales y la foto que llevará su DNI

2Para ser citado deberá contar con la totalidad de las boletas que emite el sistema RADEX abonadas

3Recuerde que deberá presentarse con la totalidad de la documentación original adjuntada digitalmente en el presente trámite

4Recuerde el día de su cita ante Migraciones concurrir con Documento que acredite su identidad VIGENTE

5Junto con la cita será remitida una Autorización de Residencia Precaria, correspondiendo el día la cita evaluar su renovación

So how the heck did I end up with residency? I didnt do anything. No interview, no paper copies of any documents, nothing. At the consulate the only person I spoke to was the security guard outside, who went back and forth between me and whoever was inside.

Reactions: Moe
So how the heck did I end up with residency? I didnt do anything. No interview, no paper copies of any documents, nothing. At the consulate the only person I spoke to was the security guard outside, who went back and forth between me and whoever was inside.
Better not to ask any further questions until you are safe and sound past migraciones in Argentina ;)

In reality maybe the system just generated a precaria allowing you temporary leave to remain until you could complete the presencial elements of the trámite. With a precaria you are generally free to come and go as you please. Given that Migraciones only seems to be taking appointments again in October after many months, what ever leave it is was probably automatically extended to give time to complete the tramite.

Reactions: ben
Back