The Argentinian consulate in Lima gave me some sort of residency

I agree. I strongly suspect Fiscal does not have residency, merely a precaria.

I agree. I strongly suspect Fiscal does not have residency, merely a precaria.

A precaria is a pre DNI. My DNI is expired (since December) since the immigration folks aren't in the office I've been on auto renewed precaria for 9 months now. Hell by the time my new DNI comes it'll be time go get my finger prints taken at the police station again for the renewal.

If I remember correctly, before I got my Precaria (the document with my photo on it that comes before the DNI) I had another bit of paper that looked like some kind of government act (with no photo, just text stating that my residency application was in process and I had the ability to live and work in Argentina)
I had to use to enter and leave the country for a few months. I think that is the in between step after uploading the initial application and waiting for the interview. Will see if I can dig it up somewhere to find out what it was called.

In my days (pre-Radex), it was much much simpler.
Getting the documents was a serious PITA, because my home country doesn’t do apostilles there was a bit of running back and forth between authenticating agencies and Argentine consulates.
But once I had all the papers in hand - duly legalized, translated and the translations legalized - it was easy as pie.
Entered the migraciones building (had made an appointment the day before), showed my documents, paid 600 pesos, left an hour later with a precaria in hand.
Flew out of Ezeiza a couple weeks later, they told me at migraciones that I had been approved and was already a permanent resident.
(Because I was out of the country I missed the DNI coming to my house; finding it was then a bit of a scavenger hunt. But that’s a different story.)

I'm really confused because, in fact, when I filled out the radex form, checking my old emails, I got this back:

1Un controlador de Migraciones verificará los datos y remitirá a su correo electrónico su cita de presentación ante el organismo a fin de tomarle las huellas digitales y la foto que llevará su DNI

2Para ser citado deberá contar con la totalidad de las boletas que emite el sistema RADEX abonadas

3Recuerde que deberá presentarse con la totalidad de la documentación original adjuntada digitalmente en el presente trámite

4Recuerde el día de su cita ante Migraciones concurrir con Documento que acredite su identidad VIGENTE

5Junto con la cita será remitida una Autorización de Residencia Precaria, correspondiendo el día la cita evaluar su renovación

So how the heck did I end up with residency? I didnt do anything. No interview, no paper copies of any documents, nothing. At the consulate the only person I spoke to was the security guard outside, who went back and forth between me and whoever was inside.

You don't really have a residency -- you have a sort of a prepacia residency. Since you have completed the Radex process and all administrative periods have been suspended due to Covid you are a resident during the process. So yes, basically you have a "precaria".

I'll write what it says:

Certificado de Respaldo Consular

El presente certificado se emite en favor de [MY NAME], Pasaporte Americano No. [XXXX] con el objecto de creditar su condicion de residente PERMANENTE en la Republica Argentina, de acuerdo con la informacion obrante en los sistemas de la Direccion Nacional de Migraciones de Republica Argentina (DNM), expediente No. _____ de fecha X-X-2019 resuelto el dia 07-05-2020 para ser presentando ante las autoridades migratorias de La Republica Argentina.

So...what the hell is this thing? Not an actual residency? Might I actually get rejected at Immigration at EZE? Seems like this is saying this is proof of my permanent residency.

Is the fecha X-X-2019 on or around when you submitted your Radex application?
It definitely looks like you were approved on May 7 as a permanent resident.
If their computers say so, doubtful you’ll be rejected at EZE - but who the hell can truly know.

What was the reason for your application? Parent of Argentine child, for example?

Is the fecha X-X-2019 on or around when you submitted your Radex application?
It definitely looks like you were approved on May 7 as a permanent resident.
If their computers say so, doubtful you’ll be rejected at EZE - but who the hell can truly know.
Yeah that's when I did the Radex app.

Back