The Complainers

I love everything swedish. With a name like "blondie" what is there not to love, huh? The complaining really has gotten a bum wrap here/site and globally...I think we should call it..bringing to everyone's attention - and cease to call it, complaining. To bring to another's person sounds more diplomatic, politically correct, optimist, positive- energy driven. And if one chooses not to contribute to the "item being brought to everyone's attention", they are within their constitutional right to desist from further commenting. Does that sound like an acceptable and doable suggestion?
Just trying to help decrease the amount of complaining on this site; we can only truly try to do the best we can in any situation we might be in.

My God! It does really get boring! I mean, this country has lots of problems, and things to criticise, but I doubt anybody was kidnapped and ended up stranded in BA!

I mean, you have choices, c´mon! : You have a job and were relocated and are hating it? Quit it and do something else! Your partner lives here and you don´t like it? well you are not a slave but a partner! You have been kick out of your own country? There are zillions of places to go!

You either deal with the shit or do something about it to get it fixed.
Some people have too much time in their hands to write and write and fight endelssly...GET A M***F*** LIFE! I really sometimes wonder what type of psychiatric problems some of you have ( other than willing to get a golden business going on and get rich in the third world, or afford to buy what you cannot afor in your home countries ) that you punish yourself like this?

You only have one life, and you better live it to the fullest, be happy, share with friends and family, enjoy it, before you realize of what you missed and are already back in diapers.

You know what? The real sufferers are the people that have no choices, the ones that cannot affors to move 100km form where they live, the ones that don´t make enough $ to eat, the ones that are so sick that have their minutes counted already...

A new year is coming and it may be a good idea to think of what you want and why you want it for. Happy New Year! Enjoy with your loved ones, enjoy as much as you can anything you have, you don´t know what is gonna happen tomorrow.

nik

Charly.....good point. When I first became an expat, I used to get seriously irritated by do-gooders defending Spain without hearing what I had to say. Anything bad I said was immediately jumped upon and wiped out. I was made to feel guilty for feeling. I can see this happening on this forum. Being a 'Patriotic' Defender is as annoying as being A Complainer. The two often go head to head biting each other to pieces leaving no-one the wiser and just making people even more frustrated or egotisctical.
Being the staunch defender of your host country screams of someone desperate to be liked by their new countrymen. All very sweet but a bit overly PC (something which should really have been left behind along with the old clothes). Looking at it from a masculine point of view, have you ever known a man who apprciated being defended? Let the country stand up for itself. It's big enough.
If someone says they are not happy the way things are going for them, why not offer some help rather than bitching at them? If someone says they are not happy...they are not happy. It's not debatable.
My point, however, was that it is to be expected that recent expats complain a lot and that, in time, they won't. I just wanted those who spent a large part of their day dwelling on the little things know that, eventually, they would feel more peaceful.

"Hannah" said:
Charly.....good point. When I first became an expat, I used to get seriously irritated by do-gooders defending Spain without hearing what I had to say. Anything bad I said was immediately jumped upon and wiped out. I was made to feel guilty for feeling. I can see this happening on this forum. Being a 'Patriotic' Defender is as annoying as being A Complainer. The two often go head to head biting each other to pieces leaving no-one the wiser and just making people even more frustrated or egotisctical.
Being the staunch defender of your host country screams of someone desperate to be liked by their new countrymen. All very sweet but a bit overly PC (something which should really have been left behind along with the old clothes). Looking at it from a masculine point of view, have you ever known a man who apprciated being defended? Let the country stand up for itself. It's big enough.
If someone says they are not happy the way things are going for them, why not offer some help rather than bitching at them? If someone says they are not happy...they are not happy. It's not debatable.
My point, however, was that it is to be expected that recent expats complain a lot and that, in time, they won't. I just wanted those who spent a large part of their day dwelling on the little things know that, eventually, they would feel more peaceful.
I have been reading the same stuff from the same people for over a year....there is somethign very wrong either way: this place is impossible or they are seriously f*** up.
nik

I think expats sometimes need to blow off steam and this forum gives them that opportunity. Some of the griping can be petty; some is very reasonable. I agree with Charly that the complainers can be easier to take than the gushing admirers. Agentina has the good and the bad. The bad can often be serious, though. Pretending that it isn't there is neither honest nor fair. Most Argentines I know would like to see a better country - more justice, more opportunity, less discrimination etc. Pointing the finger at the US doesn't resolve anything. There's lots to criticize in the US (as there is a lot to praise). This forum is supposed to be primarily about Argentina, not the US. Comparisons are inevitable but in the end the real issue is Argentina, how to live here, the pros and cons, pitfalls etc. What is a bit hard to take at times is the unwillingness of some posters to see reality. I don't know a single Porteno who is really happy with this society. They may get defensive when they talk to a foreigner but if you get to make real friends they will admit that there is a great deal wrong and they will often admit that they wish many things could be more like the US, UK or some other 1st world countries.

Everybody need to vent, the problem is that you all decide to do it in the same place, so you feed others and yourself with pure negativity. Some things are seriously f*** up here, we all know it, but do something to change it, or focus on sth else. Also it is good to warn newcomers, but show both sides of the coin ;)

You are right, Nikad. I just wish some of the gushers could be fair in their analysis of Argentina. As I said elsewhere, there are groups that expats can help out with. What about doing something to help kids get some practical training? A little money could change a kid's life. There are expats with a lot of time on their hands and you are right, Nikad, there are things that they can do to help both with time and money.

Sergio....funnily enough, I was thinking how nice it would be to start a business which employed young Argentinians. Maybe a clothing company. That way you are benefiting from the cheap life but giving something back too.
Hey! I make bags out of old jeans and baby denim dresses and dungrarees. Are there lots of second hand clothing shops in Buenos Aires? If you know someone who wants to make bags using old jeans, let me know as I could sell them.

"sergio" said:
You are right, Nikad. I just wish some of the gushers could be fair in their analysis of Argentina. As I said elsewhere, there are groups that expats can help out with. What about doing something to help kids get some practical training? A little money could change a kid's life. There are expats with a lot of time on their hands and you are right, Nikad, there are things that they can do to help both with time and money.
Sergio, charity is good, and I know that a lot of people woukd benefit, but even if it is not that, justtake the time to write a letter, or formal complaint to whmoever it should be addressed to, just like you would in your home country... I mean, some things don´t work and I admit to it, but you guys do not react to these things the way you would in your home country either!

"Hannah" said:
Sergio....funnily enough, I was thinking how nice it would be to start a business which employed young Argentinians. Maybe a clothing company. That way you are benefiting from the cheap life but giving something back too.
Hey! I make bags out of old jeans and baby denim dresses and dungrarees. Are there lots of second hand clothing shops in Buenos Aires? If you know someone who wants to make bags using old jeans, let me know as I could sell them.
Hello Hannah I am the great Elpanada, you've probably heard of me. I like what you're saying and your ideas, keep up the good work.

Back