The economic future of Argentina part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Granadaiscool

Registered
* Next year Argentina needs around 7 billion to service it´s debth(and probally a couple of billion more to pay off the Paris group)
* Export is not growing like it should
* Credit-crunch in especially the US
Imports are getting out of control(because quality and Argentine products do not belong in the same sentence)
* Construction boom is drying up
* Capital fled will increase
* Corruption will probally rise with a strong madate of Kristina
* Argentina will pay for the INDEK shit
* Merval and Argentine bonds plunged
* Peso is losing ground eventhough there are many interventions
How do you guys see the short and middle term economic future of Argentina?

According to you we are screwed. I am moving to the Netherlands and dedicating all of my time to smoking hashish.

"TatanBsAs" said:
According to you we are screwed. I am moving to the Netherlands and dedicating all of my time to smoking hashish.
Would prolly be more usefull than what most Argentines do for a living

While I hardly enjoy defending Granada, the fact is, Tatan Dearest, is that he is simply quoting facts....not making them up. Why do you even log on here which is for expats and then ridicule them for quoting or saying ANYTHING that you perceive as being negative against Argentina? You are exactly the kind of individual that is the PROBLEM and not the solution. Tragic really since Argentina is loaded with possibilities but I really don't believe that anything will ever change here. You can read history books from 50, 40 and ten years ago and the arguments and complaints are the same as today except that fortunately we do have relatively reliable phone service now...

"rmartinbuenosaires" said:
While I hardly enjoy defending Granada, the fact is, Tatan Dearest, is that he is simply quoting facts....not making them up. Why do you even log on here which is for expats and then ridicule them for quoting or saying ANYTHING that you perceive as being negative against Argentina? You are exactly the kind of individual that is the PROBLEM and not the solution. Tragic really since Argentina is loaded with possibilities but I really don't believe that anything will ever change here. You can read history books from 50, 40 and ten years ago and the arguments and complaints are the same as today except that fortunately we do have relatively reliable phone service now...
Dear "I am attractive because people have told me"
First of all, this country may have its flaws, but free speech still exists. So until it doesn't, I will continue to post my opinions. I don't care how savy you are when it comes to women's fashion, or how much you know about hairdressing, or whatever you are good at , I can say what I want. There is not need for me to insult you -as you did in a previous post- for it would only show that I lack ideas. Maybe you could borrow one from Granadaisnotcool.
Second, what Granadaisnotcool expressed are not facts but rather a personal analysis of the current situation and a projection of what is going to happen. On the other hand since when is Granadaisnotcool a reliable source.
The last time Argentina paid attention to foreign parties (IMF, World Bank) for financial advise it did not do very well.
And his comments, as like many of the comments by SOME expart on this website, are not "solution oriented". Many people are getting their information exclusively from newspapers. I know for a fact that many local industries are doing really well -many which were on their death bed during the 90s- and that direct foreign investments are being made in Argentine local industries.
Everybody critizes -I sense a lot of personal frustration- but nobody has the cojones to give their personal opinion on how to resolve Argentina's many problems most of which I have never denied.
I make a joke and now according to you I am the problem of Argentinas problems. You are not serious. Until you post a good idea, with solid arguments, I will just ignore you.
Tatan
PS. If I need advice on where to buy womens clothing, I will make a post.

If freedom of speech still exist can I then say that Tatan is ignorant and a moron?
There is no local industry that is worthy of mentioning but even if there was exports are not keeping up with imports(I wonder why?)(fact)

Granada, you may be right about import/export statistics. What is your source? As for the quality of Argentine goods, I have to agree: they are extremely poor. Industrial goods come with a good guarantee, though. They are guaranteed not to work properly or to break in a very short time. What is even more amazing is the poor quality of agricultural/food products.

"Fishface" said:
A lot of Argentine stuff for some reason does not get to Europe - wine for example is excellent here - but Europe is awash with crappy californinan, chilean and australian plonk.
If you think Argentinian wine is superior to Calif. wine you are crazy. If you mean that Calif. ships "plonk" to Europe then you might be right because the locals won't buy it. Same goes for the plonk that France offloads on the US market. Argentine wine is getting better each year, but it has a long way to go regarding most reds and all whites. Consistency is still a major struggle here.

Actually the reason that the crappy Argentine stuff goes to Europe is because the biggest market there for foreign wine is Britain. And what do the Brits care about? A low sticker price. There have actually been studies in the wine world and the Argentines and Chileans are actually amongst the populations who are willing to spend the most amount of money for a bottle of wine. The Brits don't want to spend a lot of money on wine. The wine culture there is changing, but on the whole the population doesn't want to spend anything for decent wine. Well the cost of shipping and duty has to be factored into the final price on a bottle, but in England if you want to keep the sticker below about 15pounds you're not going to be shipping over the better wines.
This means the only producers that can afford to ship are either the largest producers here (Norton) or some of the weird smaller producers that are making such cheap crap that even if it only sells for 12 british pounds a bottle they've generously covered their margins after shipping / duties etc etc.
Seriously, last year when I was at home we went to look in one of the larger wine shops -- for Argentine wine there was some Norton export label, a Rutiner that was selling for 70 dollars (180pesos) a bottle, and some homebrew from some guy that just looked terribly dodgy and would maybe have sold for 5 pesos here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back