The end of the Farmers Conflict

Steve, I think you're missing my point.
1 The official number is 8900, as stated by the CONADEP.
2 Other numbers are used by a variety of individuals and organizations.
3 Just like you, the lower figure doesnt give me any relief.
The whole point of my post was, that you doubt the statistics of the CONADEP. I can understand that seeing that other numbers are frequently used by other individuals and organizations. But questioning their methods (which - in contrast to other figures are not based on speculations but verifiable facts) BY COMPARING THEIR METHODS to those of INDEC inflation reports - which are about as trustworthy as the average chamuyero, is an isult (like CABJ said) tot the meticolous work the CONADEP did.

Here is a direct quote from the report:"There
are some 600 instances of abductions recorded in the
Commission�s files which are said to have taken place prior to
the 24 March 1976 coup. After that date the number of people who
were illegally deprived of their liberty throughout Argentina
rises to the tens of thousands. Eight thousand, nine hundred and
sixty of them have not reappeared to this day."

Now I can see where the two sets of numbers (8,960 and "tens of thousands") come from.

How did this thread switch from farmers to disappeared people? About the disappeared, there are no precise figures. The 30,000 may be exaggerated. A lot of people left for Europe and never came back. They may be counted as disappeared. Also there is no distinction made between people killed by radicals and people killed by the military.

It's my fault. I reacted to the post about the 30,000 veterans of the Malvinas war receiving pensions as "ironic" compared to the 30,000 victims of the Dirty War that I believed would never receive pensions. I didn't realize that only 8,900 of the tens of thousands who were deprived of their liberty during the military junta failed to reappear, but have those civilians who survived received pensions to compensate for their detention and suffering?

Yes, they have
Also the ones who were ´exiled´ recived compensation money

Can we please take this thread back to..."Re: the end of the Farmer's Conflict" ?

Back