The Fam And I To Ba From Usa. What To Bring?

I have bought some small 220 volt appliances in the USA, from the mail order houses in LA- there are a couple of them online, who specialize in 220 volts for export from the USA.
For instance, I have never seen a decent coffee grinder in Buenos Aires, and, if there was one, it would probably cost 800 pesos.
But I got a perfectly good 220 volt version for between 20 and 30 bucks. http://www.world-import.com/search.php?mode=search&page=1

But transformers work well for small stuff- I brought down a US sewing machine- the same model I got for $350 used in great shape on Craigslist is around $5000 DOLLARS in Argentina. And I just run it on a transformer.

If you use Apple products, bring em, and bring extra power cords and cables.
An Apple Airport router that costs a hundred bucks on Amazon is $1600 pesos- three hundred dollars at the official rate, still around two hundred at the blue.
new power cords for apple laptops cost a fortune.

Me, I wear argentine clothes, I just buy better quality ones. And I love argentine shoes.
But I did bring down kitchen knives, a wok, and some other special cooking stuff. For instance, I havent found decent graters, or pepper grinders, even at the best stores. Stuff that is relatively cheap at places like Sur La Table, is double or triple, if you can get it.

Your appliances will work just fine. Transformers are not expensive and they are easy to find. http://www.digofat.com/shop/index.asp Do not buy appliances here!!!! They suck. For the kitchen apps. just pick up a 3' multi plug at Home Depot and plug it into a 2000+ or - watt transformer and your toaster, coffee maker, can opener and microwave etc are good to go. The new flat screens do not need a transformer but your dvd will and your phones.

If you like to cook, bring down your whole kitchen.

Pots and pans: the selection here is almost unbelievably terrible and expensive. The exceptions are cast iron pieces and carbon steel ones (like woks) which are cheap and plentiful. Same goes for kitchen knives and cutting boards. Also if you want to beable to sharpen those knives, bring something for that as well. Rice cookers and kitchenaids are available but at absurd prices, i brougt them down. Don't bother with blenders or food processors unless you already own them, in which case, bring them. Cheesy stainless flatware here costs more that sterling in the US. Etc...

For the appliances I,d recommend getting a very high capacity transformer and having an electrician wire several different outlets into a 110v circuit. Now that I'm thinking about that, of bring a handfull of us outlets down so that you don't have to use plug adapters for the 110 circuit and you can easily differentiate them from the 220 outlets.

For instance, I havent found decent graters, or pepper grinders, even at the best stores. Stuff that is relatively cheap at places like Sur La Table, is double or triple, if you can get it.

Box grater or microplane? I bought a really nice microplane about a year ago in a bazar on pyerredon near peña and its held up really well.

Also they have a variety of nice pepper mills at ruffinis on chile and chacabuco but they are serious money. I use the indalo grinder that comes with the spices in the supermarket, they're actually awesome grinders if you want a coarse grind and you can refill them as many times as you need to.

Bring dollar$$$... in cold hard ca$h...
You can bring up to U$D $10.000 each.

Box grater or microplane? I bought a really nice microplane about a year ago in a bazar on pyerredon near peña and its held up really well.

Also they have a variety of nice pepper mills at ruffinis on chile and chacabuco but they are serious money. I use the indalo grinder that comes with the spices in the supermarket, they're actually awesome grinders if you want a coarse grind and you can refill them as many times as you need to.

All the small graters I have found here, even in fancy kitchen stores in Recoleta, were just center punched, as opposed to tooth shaped blades. I use a small one for ginger in my smoothies, or grating a bit of cheese for my omelet. five bucks in the US, unobtainable here.
As for pepper grinders, I am a Peugot man- which, since the cars are so popular here, you would think they would have- but I have looked in about 2 dozen kitchen stores over a period of five years, and never found one. Bought a lesser brand, not cheap, it barely works. I bring Peugot's from home.

All the small graters I have found here, even in fancy kitchen stores in Recoleta, were just center punched, as opposed to tooth shaped blades. I use a small one for ginger in my smoothies, or grating a bit of cheese for my omelet. five bucks in the US, unobtainable here.
As for pepper grinders, I am a Peugot man- which, since the cars are so popular here, you would think they would have- but I have looked in about 2 dozen kitchen stores over a period of five years, and never found one. Bought a lesser brand, not cheap, it barely works. I bring Peugot's from home.

http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar/MLA-473535472-pimentero-molinillo-de-pimienta-peugeot-paris-de-18-cm-_JM

Back