The Fam And I To Ba From Usa. What To Bring?

I certainly would.
Even if I am wrong about Peugot pepper grinders, and it is possible to find one with much searching at double the price, my basic point remains-

ALL imported goods cost double, or more what you are used to paying for them, and many are just not available at all.
So it makes sense to bring expensive things that are not made in Argentina.

Antiques here, particularly furniture, are actually very cheap compared to the US and Europe, so if you like deco or noveau or mid century modern furniture, or lighting, there are deals to be had. But modern stuff is pricy.

What is the approximate cost to ship a container? How many cubic feet or how many rooms of a house do they usually hold? Thanks

I agree. Everything times two. Someone just posted the same question a couple of weeks ago. Do a search for the thread and that should help answer your question.

Avoid buying anything here. Fill the container. I'm sure that there are many here that will gladly give you orders and cash to fill that box. It will be a 40 foot container by Monday.

Hello All,
My Wife, Infant Twin Sons and I are moving to BA from the US and are shipping a container. Does any body have any recommendations on what to bring and what not to? Any must haves?
All children clothing and toys. Toys are VERY expensive in Argentina. All children's stuff is expensive. Training cups, pacifiers (if they use any) silverware for children. All kitchen utensils, good quality pots & pans.
bed & bath linens
Furniture is also very expensive in Argentina. If you are filling a container... bring as much as you can. You will definitely save money by having all of your stuff.
Good luck with the moving! I moved a 40 footer 6 years ago. I had a baby then & it was worth it bringing everything. When I have visitors, they usually bring me clothes & toys for my kids.

The 40' container from LA to BA is $6000 dollars door to door. I pack and unload. I lived in Argentina for 5 years and returned to the US about 6 years ago. Since then I have become so accustomed to the convenience of American Consumerism that I think that might be one of the hardest things for me to adjust to.

I would love to bring a car, and if I had more time to put this together I probably would but they make the whole thing complicated and full of restrictions. Thanks again to everyone for your all the good info. I see there is a forum on here for events. I would love to meet some fellow expats

In addition to hard merchandise -- you should also consider some food items depending of course on your likes.. for example in cooking .. I use white pepper but it is very gritty in BA unlike what you can find in the States at similar Asian markets. If you like Curry Pastes... Red Green Masaman Panang Yellow... buy in the States the Mae Ploy brand.. you will not find it in BA at all.. unless any others reading this has seen it.. as I have not yet.. check the expiry dates of all products too. Peanut butter should be in your bin too along with crackers and candy bars you really enjoy.. I realize you cannot have everything here but as the other people here have nicel pointed out to you it pays to plan well prior to arriving to live here. All my best. Walter

There is actually a decent and ever growing selection of peanut butter here. If we are on to specialty food items I like to bring fleur de sel since the one argentine brand is coming in at $710 pesos el kilo which is ridiculous.

Back