The Herald Is Dead! Long Live The Herald!

Thanks for your polite response.

The existence of a large number of English language papers in Tokyo has everything to do with the fact that Tokyo, unlike BA, is an international city with a large number of foreigners doing business there.

Indeed...duh !

Years ago, I used to buy this "rag" 6 times a week, never on Monday. I found it very enjoyable.Then,it became boring. Later, the online edition was a waste of time. I'd read items on the BH website that I had read from other sources, days earlier. Also, all of the movie listings were in Spanish. Brilliant.
I think that a turning point was when Audi stopped running their front page daily ad.
Where does "Kansas" advertise, now.?

Years ago, I used to buy this "rag" 6 times a week, never on Monday. I found it very enjoyable.Then,it became boring. Later, the online edition was a waste of time. I'd read items on the BH website that I had read from other sources, days earlier. Also, all of the movie listings were in Spanish. Brilliant.
I think that a turning point was when Audi stopped running their front page daily ad.
Where does "Kansas" advertise, now.?

Absolutely on target. As the only paper in BA in English they did a very poor job of targeting the English speaking expat community, as well as any tourists. I was always mystified by this oversight.

BUENOS AIRES HERALD DIES, NOBODY CRIES EXCEPT CHRISTINA KIRCHNER

She must be sad for they sang her praises well. Thankfully it was put out of it's unreadable misery. I cancelled my subscription when it was declared brain dead many years ago. As for it courageous and glorious history--that too was sold off well before Friday's final edition.

There are many people on here that are better writers in all aspects, than those who finally went down with that pirated ship. The bubbly Bubble might be little more than a blog, but I can decipher enough out of it, to suffice for my BA news.

The online edition is still up, albeit a bit behind the times.
http://www.buenosairesherald.com/printed-edition/

There isn't much need for an English newspaper in Buenos Aires, Spanish isn't really what I would call a boutique language as say Thai is. Foreigners can just read the news in Spanish. I've noticed that people on this forum really seem to want to resist the Spanish language, but maybe that's just me.

There isn't much need for an English newspaper in Buenos Aires, Spanish isn't really what I would call a boutique language as say Thai is. Foreigners can just read the news in Spanish. I've noticed that people on this forum really seem to want to resist the Spanish language, but maybe that's just me.
I don't think it's resistance but maybe a case of when you speak it all day and everyday, it's a relief to indulge in your own mother tongue when the opportunity presents itself.
However, that mother tongue has to be written correctly in English and not come across as some hopeless Google translation or written by an Anglo-Argentine with a poor grasp of English. That's where the Herald fell down badly.
If you can stand the nasty and xenophobic comments, Mercopress reels out news snippets in English, but again suffers from the Anglo crossover effect, IE, the English doesn't even read as native.
And don't get me started on The Bubble since proof reading is (an) anathema to to them.

Tourists, short term visitors and many others cannot be expected to master Spanish to read a newspaper. It's astonishing that in an age when English is the universal language more than ever, BA now has no English language paper.

Tourists, short term visitors and many others cannot be expected to master Spanish to read a newspaper.

What's the chance of these people buying a local newspaper? When you are a tourist, you are likely spending time visiting the city and not ready the newspaper. Also, you don't know the people featured in the news (besides the President), so what's the point if you are here short term?

It's astonishing that in an age when English is the universal language more than ever, BA now has no English language paper.

I think you meant Spanish. :D
It's astonishing that in an age when Spanish is the universal language more than ever, anglophones still pretend to have an English language paper in every foreign country where they set foot for their own convenience.

Serafina, take a look at the Spanish language newspapers in the USA.... Seems Spanish speakers also like the " convenience" of a newspaper in their native language:

Spanish Language Newspapers in the USA

Back