The Herald Is Dead! Long Live The Herald!

Serafina, take a look at the Spanish language newspapers in the USA.... Seems Spanish speakers also like the " convenience" of a newspaper in their native language:

Spanish Language Newspapers in the USA

That's exactly my point. Spanish has becoming more and more important on a worldwide level. And, second, I don't think that these newspapers have a Spanish version "as a courtesy toward random hispanic tourists and temporary visitors to the US". Also some official documents are officially translate into Spanish (and sometimes also into other languages, like IRS instructions),

Also, I expect a step distinction in the ration between native Spanish speakers in the US vs. the number of English native speakers in Argentina.

The predominant language in the occidental world has been changing over the centuries (..., Latin, French, English, ...) and it is stubborn to think that all the world MUST speak English because.... hey, it's so much easier for you natives!

Those who resist changes are bound to subside.

Serafina, do you REALLY think that all or Asia where so much of the world economy is now based is going to adopt Spanish as their international language?

The predominant language in the occidental world has been changing over the centuries (..., Latin, French, English, ...) and it is stubborn to think that all the world MUST speak English because.... hey, it's so much easier for you natives!

It's more about power and money.

Serafina, do you REALLY think that all or Asia where so much of the world economy is now based is going to adopt Spanish as their international language?

Do you REALLY think this is ASIA? What on Earth makes you think Argentinians are business-oriented?! Money and work are the least important things an Argentinian's life.
A lot of people on this forum think the world works only one way: the one they used to experience in their home country (usually the US, they write to whine about every little thing of their local life)
Try look at where you are instead of keeping making comparisons: why don't hey sell clothes in bulk for pennies / why don't they write their news in English / why don't they import maple syrup / why don't they move faster at cashers / why don't they make crispy bacon / why don't they make hash-browns / why there are only 20 items on Starbucks' menu instead of 70 / why there is no real low cost / why don't they make fettuccine Alfredo / why aren't they schedule-freaks.... clearly, you don't belong here. Just board a plane and stop posting.

I think this forum is over a decade old and I read the same complaints over and over. At some point, you should move on or your life will be very miserable in Argentina.

What on Earth makes you think Argentinians are business-oriented?! Money and work are the least important things an Argentinian's life.

Really?
I would say the complete opposite. They're hustlers and if there's one topic of conversation that never goes away, it's MONEY; the most important aspect of anyone's life in this crazy country. How to make it, how to screw with it and how to lose it.

Really?
I would say the complete opposite. They're hustlers and if there's one topic of conversation that never goes away, it's MONEY; the most important aspect of anyone's life in this crazy country. How to make it, how to screw with it and how to lose it.

Do not mix making easy money and making money through hard work

In my experience they focus on how to save money , how to get money, how to scam money. Never in my life I have heard an Argentine saying "I'll work harder to earn more". :D

In my experience they focus on how to save money , how to get money, how to scam money. Never in my life I have heard an Argentine saying "I'll work harder to earn more". :D

Last I heard you were complaining about feeling "insulted, made fun of and trolled around"

Double standards much?

Things being "pretty aggressive", "very harsh" over here, you're pretty good at it yourself.

Pots and kettles calling each other black

It seems as if Time Out has given up publishing as well- about a year ago was the last magazine, and their website and facebook for argentina are around 2 years out of date. Time Out is now free in NYC and London, but no longer in existence in Argentina, as far as I can tell.

Well,they're not alone then. I now focus on how to save money (like everyone else it would seem), how to get money by doing stuff and I've yet to be scammed by an Argentine.
Never in my life did I hear a fellow countryman when I was still living in England say "I'll work harder to earn more", either.
I don't know what you're on today Serafina, but from where I'm sitting the people of this country work pretty darned hard for not much return, bearing in mind the current climate.
Oh and when I referred to them as hustlers, I meant that in a way of looking for shortcuts and ways around obstacles. Don't we all?

Well,they're not alone then. I now focus on how to save money (like everyone else it would seem), how to get money by doing stuff and I've yet to be scammed by an Argentine.
Never in my life did I hear a fellow countryman when I was still living in England say "I'll work harder to earn more", either.
I don't know what you're on today Serafina, but from where I'm sitting the people of this country work pretty darned hard for not much return, bearing in mind the current climate.
Oh and when I referred to them as hustlers, I meant that in a way of looking for shortcuts and ways around obstacles. Don't we all?

Never got scammed either, but on FB I see plenty of ads of people clearly trying to sell stolen phones to people who don't know how icloud and stuff works. If they'd only put so much effort into something legit...

I have never worked in your home country, but I have never seen an Argentinian stressed out, running like crazy or hurrying from a meeting to another. Or they work in a perfectly balanced work environment or they are not running at full speed. Maybe they have a better work/life balance. I am certainly envious of their relaxed approach to work and I am working to get there myself.

At least in my small dealings, I saw people far more relaxed than Europeans at work.

Back