The Iron Lady (La dama de hierro)

StuckLikeGlue

Registered
Is anybody else surprised that this movie is being released here? I haven't seen it yet myself, but it's certainly stirred up plenty of controversy everywhere else for reasons that don't include the Malvinas/Falklands conflict. I'm just curious as to how everyone thinks it's going to be received... what do you think?

I wondered the same thing! I haven't heard anything yet, but I just got back in town yesterday. I'll ask around. :)

I think it's going to be fun... Hopefully there'll be alot of booing in the cinema :D

Meryl Streep is very popular in Argentina, and people are curious about her performance as Thatcher. Argentina is barely mentioned in the film. This movie is all about Streep doing Thatcher, period. Cinema owners here are anticipating big box office with this movie.

From what I have read in posts by many Argentines to various online newspapers locally (Clarin etc), Thatcher is reviled and many simply won't go as they seem to think that we Brits, under her leadership, 'stole' the islands from Argentina.
But of course, not many mention 'el borrachito', Galtieri in their rants.

Thatcher movie opens in Argentina to tough reviews
AP TOP NEWS | FEBRUARY 2, 2012
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina (AP) — Meryl Streep may have been nominated for an Oscar for her portrayal of British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher in "The... Read more

Gringoboy said:
From what I have read in posts by many Argentines to various online newspapers locally (Clarin etc), Thatcher is reviled and many simply won't go as they seem to think that we Brits, under her leadership, 'stole' the islands from Argentina.
But of course, not many mention 'el borrachito', Galtieri in their rants.

And of course, no mentions to the origin of the islands and how the british ended up there.... The point that the british always are sure to ignore and hide behind the supposed "self determination" of the invaders.

JoeGillis said:
Meryl Streep is very popular in Argentina, and people are curious about her performance as Thatcher. Argentina is barely mentioned in the film. This movie is all about Streep doing Thatcher, period. Cinema owners here are anticipating big box office with this movie.

I saw it two nights ago. The conflict in the Malvinas/Falklands lasts around 20 minutes and is a key part of the film, I think, to really help drive home why the nickname she was given stuck. It's intense and a very important part in demonstrating her character development as a politician.

At one point the American secretary of state, if I remember correctly, describes Argentina as a politically and culturally (ETA: maybe it was economically? Two of these three.) insignificant country when he is trying to discourage Thatcher from sending the ships. So I can see why Argentines wouldn't care for this film just for that line alone.

I liked the movie and worship at the altar of our goddess Meryl Streep, but it could have been shorter. They used lots of real news footage, both from England and from Argentina, so if you're a history buff you'll like this movie.

Back