THE KILLKENNY 60 peso two pints wtf

dk2

Registered
:mad::mad: have been traveling to buenos aires on a regular basis for the last decade,and i used to always have a few pints in the killkenny,up untill last febuary ,went on a quiet week night nor othere people in the bar...asked for two pints and was charged 60 pesos!!!!! thats works out nearly two euros more than i would pay back home!!! and its not like the bar is anything special.used to like the place now its just another reason i wont be returning to the city ...

Its totally out of relation, I agree!
I like to go to English/Irish pubs, but for sure not if I need to pay the same for a pint as for a liter of draft beer at Plaza Serano!
I have been told by locals , that its not the beer you pay for at Kilkenny (!!!)
My favourite pub with homebrew is Cossab in Boedo! Worth a visit!

I was contemplating on going to Kilkenny to watch Ireland in Euro 2012 but I will definitely be giving it a miss if that's what they are charging! 60 pesos…*practically 11euros! No wonder there was nobody else there. Joke.

I know inflation here is rampant but a lot of places just bang up the prices and claim inflation is the reason when in reality they could easily charge less and still make a handsome profit, which in turn helps increase inflation. Plain Greed. The same happened in Ireland not so long ago with rediculous prices for eating out, clothes, cars houses and look what happened.

TERKILD said:
Its totally out of relation, I agree!
I like to go to English/Irish pubs, but for sure not if I need to pay the same for a pint as for a liter of draft beer at Plaza Serano!
I have been told by locals , that its not the beer you pay for at Kilkenny (!!!)
My favourite pub with homebrew is Cossab in Boedo! Worth a visit!

Will have to give it a try! I am constantly on the search for artesan beers here. Have to say I have found some pretty good stouts along the way, and as an Irish man I need a good stout ; )

Any other suggestions for good stouts, IPAs and good pubs in general would be very welcome!!!!

Yea, me to, I need beer on a daily basis! :)

For the Euro Cup, I would suggest "Cronico" at Plaza Serano!
They for sure show all matches.....crowd is nice, 50/50 portenos and tourists and expats. True artesenal beer here is hard to find, (I am part German, so trust me, I like good beer too!). You have "Antares", but its so commercial and also quite pricy.
Have been looking for good homebrew pubs for 1,5 year...seems hard to find.
You have a few quite cozy and nice places in San Telmo, "Breoghan", "Gibraltar" and then you have a nice cafe at Bolivar called "La Poesia", they serve nice artesenal beer!

Kikenny was the place to be from 2003 to 2006/2007(they tell me earlier as well) with cheap, loads of people and fun

After that it was taken over by cheap hookers(the ones who are ugly and can't work elsewhere) and ever increasing prices.

Don't bother, go to puerto pirata, gibraltar, puerta roja, krakaw, Shangai Dragon o Bangelore

yeah its a shame,when greed kicks in,and the place hasnt had a lick of paint since i first started going,dam shame....can anyone recomend any good bars like irish/sports bar,good music and fair price for a pint more importantly,come on its buenos aires not cannes!!

Actually the artesnal beer situation in BsAs is excellent, but you have to know where to find them. As an IPA and stout lover myself, I have found a decent range of flavours in and around the city. The Gibraltar, on Peru in San Telmo has a decent range, Antares & Gambrinus, the latter brewer doing a really nice pale ale and a decent stout. They also have Kingston Cask, a rarity to find cask ale and another nice pint.

Another bar mentioned above, Breoghans, at Bolivar 860, brew their own beer on the premises, and also carry other beers such as Cork IPA and the range from Uno Mas, with a varying supply on offer. Happy Hour there gives you two pints for AR$30 - quite a difference from the Kilkenny.

Others with a good range of beers are Cossab, Cruzat and Treffen, on Piedras, just off Avenida de Mayo, and the sister pubs to the Gibraltar, the Shanghai Dragon and Bangalore, both in the Palermo area. Then of course there is Antares and Bullers brew pubs.

Being Irish myself, I too am looking for the best place to watch matches in the Euro's. In the last World Cup. we ventured to Sugar Bar in Palermo for their Big Screens, but their beer isn't the best, although its been a while since I was over there. At present, none of the San Telmo beer bars have a big screen, although Krakow Bar (Polish, so should be some interest in the Euros), in Montserrat, near Casa Rosada, on Venezuela, off Defensa, does, and also carries Gambrinus beers.

Last time I checked, admittedly 3 years ago, the Kilkenny didn't even have a TV, when I was looking for somewhere to watch the Rugby Grand Slam game against Wales, and we ended up watching on a big screen at the Downtown Mattiaus in Recoleta, inside the BA Design Centre - where they actually had draught Guinness at the time.

The Killkenny is just one example of many and most. Prices in BA for most things especially in the dining/entertainment real have surpassed European/US prices, and often times have less quality than there international counterparts. I pay more for TRAGO made with mouthwash national vodka in BA than I would back in Europe for a drink mixed with a reputable name brand liquor.

I suspect that this will really affect tourism, especially conventioners as that ¨cheapness factor¨ no longer gives BA the upper hand when organzing or planning a trip/conference internationally over cities such as Madrid, México DF, etc.

Back