The king of sophistry?

steveinbsas said:
Is it Rush Limbaugh or Barack Obama?

It would help if the word were spelled correctly. It's sophistry, the Cambridge on-line dictionary definition:

Definition

sophistry Show phonetics
noun FORMAL
the clever use of arguments which seem true but are really false in order to deceive people

sophism Show phonetics
noun [C] FORMAL
an argument which seems true but is really false and is used to deceive people

sophist Show phonetics
noun [C] FORMAL
It was basically a selfish act, though no doubt a sophist would argue that it was done for the general good.

HDM don't let people push you around! Steveinbas, quit acting like a playground bully. Why don't you two go at it full-bore. It might inject some life in this forum.

gouchobob said:
It would help if the word were spelled correctly. It's sophistry, the Cambridge on-line dictionary definition:

Definition

sophistry Show phonetics
noun FORMAL
the clever use of arguments which seem true but are really false in order to deceive people

sophism Show phonetics
noun [C] FORMAL
an argument which seems true but is really false and is used to deceive people

sophist Show phonetics
noun [C] FORMAL
It was basically a selfish act, though no doubt a sophist would argue that it was done for the general good.

HDM don't let people push you around! Steveinbas, quit acting like a playground bully. Why don't you two go at it full-bore. It might inject some life in this forum.

Thanks for the spelling correction...it was a typo.

I wasted four years getting a degree in economics, but I learned one thing.

As John Maynard Keynes said, "In the long run, we'll all be dead."

Live now.

HDM said:
or how about steveinbas?

Perhaps you would like to challenge one of my posts regarding immigration?

Please do so.

Or add your own...

No, not really interested. But thank your for the suggestion.

Then why bother posting in the first place?

Or are you too good for us?

Us? I thought you were a you.

But no, I am actually not nearly good enough. That's why I choose to let you have at it all by yourself. Obama and Limbaugh, for Chrissakes! You just wanted to start a fight with this ... bored? And I don't want to play. Have fun, those of you who do.

Back