The Macri Debate

How much of the current increase in the cost of utility services, about which we all bemoan, is due to having to repair the degraded status of national energy companies brought about by the cessation of state subsidies - subsidies which allowed the utility bills of wealthy people living in the Recoleta to remain artificially low (even though power outages were frequent)? Such subsidies were depleting the state treasury. Macri raised prices dramatically because it was necessary to maintain the utility companies in an operational condition without bankrupting the national treasury.

How much of the current increase in the cost of utility services, about which we all bemoan, is due to having to repair the degraded status of national energy companies brought about by the cessation of state subsidies - subsidies which allowed the utility bills of wealthy people living in the Recoleta to remain artificially low (even though power outages were frequent)? Such subsidies were depleting the state treasury. Macri raised prices dramatically because it was necessary to maintain the utility companies in an operational condition without bankrupting the national treasury.

Don’t be naive.
Subsidies to people stoped, to the companies not.
One of the electricity companies belongs to a friend of Macri, Lewis. Corruption describes better what is going on.

I'm not a Macri fanboy by any stretch, so I'm not defending him... but that web site — "Política Argentina" — leans towards the left. Obviously, they will report all news through an anti-Macri lens.

It's hilarious when people bitch about Clarín or La Nación being biased... and then go and deem everything in Pagina12 or any other pro-K newspaper is the absolute truth.

Sorry, but just because you agree with the political position of a certain newspaper doesn't mean it isn't written to pander to the political leanings of their readership. Unbiased news hasn't existed for a long time (maybe ever). But people in general tend to go out and seek information that confirms their existing beliefs. The internet just made things easier.

(Not to mention that no one should be shocked when politicians from the opposing party claim Cambiemos is doing bad things. Maybe they're right. Maybe Vidal is helping create an electricity monopoly. I don't know. But of course they'll spin everything to make him look bad no matter what the truth is. That's how politics works.)

As frequently as the question "why have utility prices increased so much?" is asked, it should be followed by "Why were the utility prices so low?". There have been times since I moved here were I didn't even pay 20 bucks for my gas and electric combined. How was that ever viable? Of course a massive increase is a jolt and I hate it when I see I am now paying 900% (or whatever it is) more than I was, but the previous system caused this jolt.

I'm not a Macri fanboy by any stretch, so I'm not defending him... but that web site — "Política Argentina" — leans towards the left. Obviously, they will report all news through an anti-Macri lens.

It's hilarious when people bitch about Clarín or La Nación being biased... and then go and deem everything in Pagina12 or any other pro-K newspaper is the absolute truth.

Sorry, but just because you agree with the political position of a certain newspaper doesn't mean it isn't written to pander to the political leanings of their readership. Unbiased news hasn't existed for a long time (maybe ever). But people in general tend to go out and seek information that confirms their existing beliefs. The internet just made things easier.

(Not to mention that no one should be shocked when politicians from the opposing party claim Cambiemos is doing bad things. Maybe they're right. Maybe Vidal is helping create an electricity monopoly. I don't know. But of course they'll spin everything to make him look bad no matter what the truth is. That's how politics works.)

Nowadays are the only who publish the bad news.

Back