The next Buenos Aires?

Detroit and Buffalo are amazingly cheap places to live.

The way to figure out what is a cheap and DECENT place to live is to look for places that were once wealthy, educated and developed, and then for whatever reason went into decline. That way there is an established infrastructure and nice buildings and good culture. If the place was always poor, like La Paz, then no matter how cheap it is, it will never be appealing to live. It is also important that when the place went into decline that all the middle class people who live there didn't all leave and get replaced by lower class people - otherwise the place will be overrun with crime and not maintained physically.

Medellin seems to be attracting a lot of expats these days. I'm looking forward to checking the place out myself.

ssr said:
Medellin seems to be attracting a lot of expats these days. I'm looking forward to checking the place out myself.
I've got a friend just finished going around the world in ~14 to 16 months without taking planes. Anyway, I think that after his short stint back in the States, he might be on his way to Columbia. But I think that he was/is looking at Cartagena.

02cartagena_CA0-articleLarge.jpg

http://travel.nytimes.com/2010/05/02/travel/02cartagena.html

Back