The Panama Papers

thorsten

Registered
Link to the overview

Looks like we'll see some news about Argentines involved in the near future too. So far, Argentine client names are Macri, Messi, Muñoz (the right hand of Kirchner) and some business men connected to Kirchner.

But he was only occasionally director of the shell corporation (yeah right ...)!

Baez was heavily linked with this group a few years ago too, i expect there will be quite a bit more to come out.

Anyone downloaded the files? 2.6 terabytes of data!

Some links

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/financial-services/who-are-mossack-fonseca-1.2593760

http://panamapapers.sueddeutsche.de/en/

I am so stunned and shocked by these developments.

You mean to tell me that Presidente Macri, the champion of change and transformation of Argentina, the man who made the 'War on drugs" one of his top government priorities, has been implicated with offshore accounts and possible tax evasion?

On February 17 2016 camberiu wrote on this forum:
"[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Despite all the wishful thinking you see on this forum, Macri is not a "transformational" leader. He is just a return to what it was before the Ks took power."[/background]

Macri can't wait to see what comes out in the coming days, but ouch, what company he is in -- Putin, Assad, and some other really dirty Mid-East leaders.

We can only hope that Cristina is to be implicated directly as well -- here's an article from August 2013, when PPT did their show on her mysterious stop in the Seychelles. Lazaro Baez is surely done for.

http://www.clarin.com/politica/extrana-Cristina-Seychelles-paraiso-fiscal_0_977302283.html

El camino es intrincado y el hermetismo que rodea a Aldyne, casi tan misterioso como todo lo que sucede en Seychelles, un paraíso fiscal en el que, por ejemplo, se cierran hoteles por la visita de algún magnate árabe. Hay un jugador más, el estudio panameño Mossack Fonseca, el buffet que creó Aldyne en Seychelles y que representa legalmente a las 148 compañías.

Here is an El Pais article in english that details a bit more Macri's defense (as well as Almodovar's situation and Messi... who's name is pretty apt for the situation he finds himself in right now).

http://elpais.com/elpais/2016/04/04/inenglish/1459756747_005165.html

The principal of the Account is Macri's Father Franco. The two sons are directors. Macri's father with business in China and Uruguay is most likely to have a Panama Account. Should Macri have declared his involvement..?

Again, nobody knows how truly honest a man Mauricio Macri is or has been, and how effective a president he will be. But if the closest they can get to foisting corruption allegations on him is that his name shows up as a director of one of his father's companies, from 10 years ago, I think this is a wee bit overblown.

Suffice it to say that I am confident this trove will yield far more juicy stories.

Regarding the general outlook: There is a vast gap between being a "transformational" leader - whatever that means - and "just a return to what it was before the Ks took power."

Not sure why people insist on seeing in Macri a savior, or the devil incarnate. What's wrong with a 'normal' leader who after 12 years of K, manages to make things work more normally? And if he can make institutions stronger, all the better.

The rich hiding their money in offshore accounts and avoiding their fare share of taxes? It would be more surprising to see the list of those that don't do this.

Not sure why people insist on seeing in Macri a savior, or the devil incarnate. What's wrong with a 'normal' leader who after 12 years of K, manages to make things work more normally? And if he can make institutions stronger, all the better.

That was my point. He is not the savior, nor the devil. He is a normal, typical Argentine politician. He is the norm. The Argentine norm.

He represents the return to the Argentine status quo, after 12 years of the Ks.

Back