The quality of haircuts

ssr said:
So, I have to disagree with you, fifilafiloche. Finding decent men's clothes in Argentina is certainly not easy and not all that inexpensive, either.

Ahhh fashion victims :)

There is nothing wrong with disagreeing, it feeds the debate and i like to explore other people s inner wolrds.:p

I did buy some shirts back home before leaving because it is difficult for me to find something that suits my size (1m91). There is a shop in Palermo called "big and tall" that taylors shirts, but taylored clothes are not my cup of tea.

Back to the topic : haircut. I guess some people need to look perfectly clean for professional reasons, but then no need of a scisors artist for that, at least for men. But i guess some men are more connected with their feminine side than others :D

Interesting... my absolute favorite part of Argentina?

Almost all the women, including my wife, have long beautiful hair. Not the ridiculous short haircuts or funky angled cuts, etc, etc that so many women have in the US. I'd like to know who convinced our women in the US that short hair and these weird cuts are so attractive? Who did that huh?

Sorry ladies, long hair is WAY beautiful, and Argentine women seem to understand that. And they do get their hair cut somewhere, so there have got to be decent salons here.

Sorry if I offend any of you ladies out there. This is obviously just my taste and my opinion. And I'm sure there are plenty of guys that love the short look, I suppose.

Mark, my 'ridiculous short haircut' with a 'funky angle' is absolutely beautiful. And, you're right, PLENTY of men like a woman who:

1) Can blow dry her hair in 5 minutes (or not even bother because it still looks cool) and therefore be ready to leave a lot faster. In general, shorter-haired women tend to be lower-maintenance women. I can put on a hot dress, high heels, red lipstick, and sometimes even fake eyelashes if I'm in the mood, all in 15 minutes and be out the door.
2) Doesn't shed and leave piles of long nasty hair on every available surface in the bathroom.
3) Doesn't choke you with her hair in the middle of the night (or any of the other hassles of sleeping with long hair).
4) Has a sense of fashion, style, and adventure with her hair instead of just sticking to the same old, boring look.

Long hair CAN be beautiful, yes. But so often it's actually quite ugly due to damage from mistreatment or a lack of maintenance or effort. It's men like you who convince women who would probably benefit greatly from a haircut to leave their (often times gross) hair long.

My wife and her family love Cerini's in Belgrano but of course they may fall short of the expectations here as I don't see many short styles walking out of their salon. I have seen Cerini's in the Dot as well.

And btw, genetics has something to do with long hair looking good as well on people here, men included. If only I had the nice thick hair that some of these Argentine men have...

I've had a few chuckles reading these posts - good stuff!

I agree, the jumper-around-the-shoulders thing is just wrong. Same with men who wear vests (unless you are a hip hop star or a member of the British gentry on a hunting expedition, a vest looks weird). Same with grown men who drink their softdrink with a straw, or ask for more coke in their cuba libre so it's not so strong. But I digress.

You are right that women could be a little more adventurous with their hairstyles here, but I also has to second what Mark says above; sitting on the street drinking a coffee and watching one elegantly dressed woman with beautiful long flowing hair after another strut past is one of the great joys of living in Buenos Aires.

Elia, all those difficulties you mention that come with having long hair just kind of re-enforces the point. I imagine it must be a serious pain in the arse to maintain, but they do it anyway in order to look good. It's art for art's sake.

Most of these issues (including the ones I mentioned) are more about the different tastes in different countries I think. Shaggy hair and a five o'clock shadow might be considered unruly in the US, but it's quite acceptable for office workers here. Short hair for girls is quite a novelty here, but very common in other countries.

I'm sure there must be some really good hairdressers here. I know for a fact that a lot of local girls put a lot of time and effort into their hair, so it makes sense that they care a great deal about the quality of their cut.

I love my hairdresser here. He's much better than any hairdresser I went to in the US, of course we must keep in mind that I am from Ohio so we do not have the greatest trendiest 'fabulous' salons, in fact they are usually 5 old ladies with rollers ready to butcher your hair. I have curly hair and these old ladies for some reason never understood how to cut curly hair without making it a big ball of poof. Well ever since I cut my hair here I've been much happier with my hair, so I have to disagree with those who say cutting long hair is very simple and that anyone can do it. Depending on the type of hair, thickness, and all that, I think the haircut needs to be a bit different.

I also personally love the way men wear their hair here. You may think it's shaggy, but sometimes its harder to maintain that 'shaggy' and rebelious look than American men with their boring old mens' haircuts. Long hair is always a lot more work...but the result is well worth it as men here are definitely on average much more attractive (in my opinion) than in the US...

I personally dig the fact that i can go to any mall in florida dec-march and be able to distinguish Argentines from the rest particularly by their haircut and fashion. I also dig the fact that when people look at me and say " you look argentine".. thats cuz i am! Men in argentina have adopted a Rolling Stones, rocker look, longer hair and beard and women a bohemian, hipster long hair with split ends or the rolinga look which is having the bangs and the rest longer. Offcourse not every argentine has the same style, but the majority does. I agree with KatherineAnn completely on her description of men hairstyles in argentina.

Back