The real truth about what a US dollar costs here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenjoachim

Registered
Yesterday I went to my bank (Santander Rio) to ask about buying or selling US dollars. They told me if I had a password account with AFIP or permission to buy US dollars, I could do so, otherwise forget about changing my money. Today I also went to a ¨Casa de Cambio¨ on Avenida Florida. I know the owner and he has always given me the best exchange rates over the years. He told me that if I wanted to sell my US dollars, he would pay $6.60 pesos per each dollar and if I wanted to buy some US dollars, the price was $6.70. So, what you see in the newspaper or in banks is not the truth. This is what the real value is on the streets. It is no wonder this country is in big trouble!

Perhaps for you it is not new, but for other newcomers it is. I love it when people appolgize for something and then do it anyway. You are RUDE!!

kenjoachim said:
Perhaps for you it is not new, but for other newcomers it is. I love it when people appolgize for something and then do it anyway. You are RUDE!!

Welcome to the forum.

This exact topic is discussed in dozens of threads with hundreds of replies. In fact, if you read back far enough, you'll get a day-by-day replay of how things have changed over the last six months.

So does that mean not to share my experience reconfirming the situation here? A forum is meant as a courtesy to share information in a friendly manner, not post rude remarks when someone says something that is not ¨ground breaking¨. Actually the remark sounds like what an Argentine person would say and not an expat!

kenjoachim, do you mind sharing the address of the casa de cambio? I might need to do some money exchanging next week... thanks!

Holden said:
kenjoachim, do you mind sharing the address of the casa de cambio? I might need to do some money exchanging next week... thanks!

I'd like to know also... and what would the rate be if you don't know the owner?

kenjoachim said:
So does that mean not to share my experience reconfirming the situation here? A forum is meant as a courtesy to share information in a friendly manner, not post rude remarks when someone says something that is not ¨ground breaking¨. Actually the remark sounds like what an Argentine person would say and not an expat!

I'm just giving you the context of where you find yourself on this forum. I don't know if this or any forum is necessarily a "courtesy" or not. I can tell you now that it is definitely not always friendly. Trennod's comment was by far not the rudest comment you will find on this forum.

Most forums that I have contributed to in any substantial way ALWAYS ask that new members at least try to have some idea of what the forum is about and what the current topics of discussion are. Spend some time by reading through the threads, and you will find you are not alone in your exchange troubles.

Or, you can continue to repeat what at this point are platitudes about exchanging pesos and receive the corresponding rude replies.

You've already started off with a bang. You'll do well here. Wait until you meet Steve.

Again, welcome to the forum.

It is wise to read the boards before taking the plunge. If everyone would start a thread like yours when they log in, this board would be painful to read.

Welcome.

KenJoachim thanks for the data, I would appreciate a recomendation to your broker, and ways to contact him via PM. My contact normally operates with a 0,30 peso margin...! Today he was paying $6,30 per dollar.
Welcome

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back