These photos show a Buenos Aires that has mostly disappeared

Any idea on how to procure this book? Looks incredible, but unfortunately isn't sold here, ironically enough. Publisher is based in Spain, but I'm unsure if I can have it shipped here considering I'm technically traveling on a tourist visa, and don't have a permanent address. Ateneo carries other works by the author, but if its not in their catalogue they won't order it. They recommended me Waldhuter on Av Santa Fe, but they are apparently out of business now.

If I order it and have it shipped here, will I just have to pick it up at Customs somewhere? I'm not super worried about paying extra taxes (the book is $35).

Any idea on how to procure this book? Looks incredible, but unfortunately isn't sold here, ironically enough. Publisher is based in Spain, but I'm unsure if I can have it shipped here considering I'm technically traveling on a tourist visa, and don't have a permanent address. Ateneo carries other works by the author, but if its not in their catalogue they won't order it. They recommended me Waldhuter on Av Santa Fe, but they are apparently out of business now.

If I order it and have it shipped here, will I just have to pick it up at Customs somewhere? I'm not super worried about paying extra taxes (the book is $35).
Try the Book Depository bookdepository.com Free shipping anywhere in the world.

The title you want is here:
<https://www.bookdepository.com/Adri...975708?ref=grid-view&qid=1644597888090&sr=1-3> (if that turns out to be a personalised search for me, just reload the author and title again)

I've ordered hundreds of dollars-worth of books from them for delivery to Argentina and elsewhere. They have always arrived - but please note that for Argentina I should say that they've always arrived....... .......eventually. And since books are tax free, it will be delivered to your door with nothing else to pay.

Please note that if you are using an Argentine bank card to pay, your bank is likely - incorrectly - to load 30%+35% onto the price. The bank doesn't know you are buying books but if you contact them with the matching invoice, they should remove the charge.

Last edited:
Q: How do you know you are getting old?
A: When they start unearthing black and white images from a quaint bygone era, showing people who must by now be long dead and places that must long since have ceased to exist. And that long lost time is...the 90s! And they then publish these rare gems and it turns out there is actually a market for it.

I saw something similar a few weeks ago on a major national site depicting rare archival images from the 90s of my hometown that a millennial had seemingly discovered in a dusty old box in a storeroom and had been intrigued by. The only difference I could see was slightly larger glasses on people's noses and rather chunky computers on their desks.

There can't be too many major cities in the world that have changed less in the last 25-30 years than Buenos Aires. That's one of the reasons I like it here.

Back