Things to do (a 1-stop shopping list)

mkub3905

Registered
In NYC, there used to be a "things to do" bible: Time Out NYC ; unfortunately, it has fallen out of greatness. Published on a weekly basis, it included sections such as: new stores, restaurants, shops, free events (for kids, adults, gays, athletes, blue-haired ladies...), dance, theater, outdoors, in-town / out of town... with very brief, but incredibly accurate reviews on each. Sigh... it "was".

This winter, my spouse and I will again be spending several weeks in CABA and are curious (actually, the task has been assigned to me, and I can be a bit lazy...) is there a GoTo WhatToDo... for BA? Does any one have any favorite listings, websites that I ought to be looking at.. (vs. individually trolling institutions' individual sites)?

I've gone thru the forums here and have found a few, but mostly that are no longer current (or at least the web-links within are not...); even still, if there a forum that I ought to follow, PLEASE don't hesitate to direct me there.

Your thoughts / suggestion will be much appreciation in advance,
mark

Do you mean in English only? The days of regular updates from PickUpTheFork (the author does have a recent Eater guide), and TheBubbleArgentina are no more. The two english newspapers: BuenasAiresHerald started up again this year with 1-2 per week culture/food/drink articles. BATimes has some too. Punch and Eater have some regular local authors, though both sites fail to give you all the stories even when searching by keyword or author.

For many years there was a Time Out here as well. But with the encroaching internet, it ceased publication something like five years ago. You have to work a lot harder here to find things out. Argentines are notorious for announcing concerts, art shows, and events a day or two before they happen. The bigger venues, obviously, have better, but still not NY class, publicity. Basically, nobody wants to pay for the labor or time needed to make extensive calendars.
Almost nobody maintains actual websites more often than once or twice a year. Almost all announcements these days are on instagram or whatsapp status, because they are free, instant, and you can post them from your phone. Which, again, makes it hard to find them.
I would check out the websites for government run places like CCRecoleta, CCK, Teatro San Martin, etc.
The city website isnt too bad, although it often is behind or confusing, too. https://buenosaires.gob.ar/inicio/tramites-y-servicios/19
Any given institution, bar, concert venue, museum, or gallery, will always have better and more up to date info on their instagram account than anywhere else.

you can follow pickupthefork on Instagram, or her personal account as well. plenty of restaurants and such to note of from her feed. her recommendations have never let me down :)

Back