"This is your last tourist stamp."

sinagua980

Registered
Yesterday, I went to Carmelo, Uruguay, for a single day visa run out of Tigre. I had heard the immigration folks on the return into Tigre can be tough. That turned out to be my experience. As soon as the guy saw that I'd done this run three time before, he immediately looked up and said, "You can't keep doing this. This is your last tourist stamp." I acknowledged and we start chatting about what I was here for, and he finally put the 90 day tourist stamp in my passport and I was on my way.

It seems his verbal warning that "this is your last tourist stamp" was merely a verbal warning with no official record anywhere. That's cool with me. For me, it won't matter much as I'll soon be submitting paperwork for a residency visa. Just thought I'd share my experience with others.

I do believe that you are at the whim of the immigration official when you enter. I was given a 30-day visa crossing from Chile once because the official thought I had too many stamps. I planned to leave the country within three weeks, so it wasn't a problem in the end.

I've been to Montevideo 3 times in the last month with a passport FULL of Uruguayan stamps. Customs agents didn't say anything to me.

It depends on what official has a bug up their butt and/or feels like throwing their weight around. I've been perma touristing in Argentina for seven years and have experienced the full range of reactions. From not caring a whit, to pulling me aside and raising their voice, to vague threats and etc.

Its just the luck of the draw. Like many folks, I never do the Uruguay trip anymore.

I'm flying from EZE to Lima on Tuesday, 2 October and have NOT renewed my tourist visa since returning from my last visit to the US in March 2011. What should I expect from Argentine customs at EZE? Will they fine me to leave the country? What if I don't have enough pesos to pay? Any advice would be helpful.

You certainly have to pay $300 pesos, they may accept dollars?

ejdonovan said:
I'm flying from EZE to Lima on Tuesday, 2 October and have NOT renewed my tourist visa since returning from my last visit to the US in March 2011. What should I expect from Argentine customs at EZE? Will they fine me to leave the country? What if I don't have enough pesos to pay? Any advice would be helpful.

The fee is $300 pesos and they only accept pesos. If you don't have enough $ you will not be allowed to leave the county. ATMs at the airport don't always have funds to dispense.

Originally Posted by syngirl

"1) Check-in with your airline -- really, you say hello to them and then they send you down to

2) Immigrations, at the opposite end of the airport, near where you exit arrivals

3) Fill out a form 5x at Immigrations

4) Go to the bank and pay the fine

5) Take back receipt to Immigrations to show you paid

6) Fill in another form 2x acknowleding you overstayed

7) Take receipts all the way back to the check-in desk and finish your check-in

It involves a lot of walking around. It depends on who you are flying with of course, AA is the farthest away from immigration I think. Because of the walking you need a good 20 mins extra time. If there's a bunch of people in line at the Bank make sure to talk to the security guys because the others may just be in line to pay customs fees."

You may be able to save time by paying the fee before you go to the airline check-in counter...unless you can safely leave your luggage at the check-in area and not have to lug it aound while you fill out the forms and pay the fee.

Thanks for all the helpful advice. I'm flying Taca through Lima and connecting there for another flight to Venezuela. I'll be sure to have at least 500 pesos before I head to EZE. I also have my dog "Elsie" w/me. She is permitted to fly in-cabin w/United & Taca as an "emotional support animal" since I have doctor's notes in both English and Spanish (each letter dated less than one year ago). She was born in Michigan and lived in several states w/me before flying to join me in BsAs on March 30, 2011. I didn't have problems entering Argentina with her via EZE nor having her allowed in-cabin but have never EXITED the country w/her. I have all required veterinary & official state documents, shots etc from Argentina and USA necessary for Peru & Venezuela (and flying w/her in-cabin on Taca). Nonetheless, I harbor concerns about her being allowed to accompany me while in EZE. Does anyone have experience with a service animal flying internationally FROM Argentina? I've found that many issues regarding Customs/Immigrations in Argentina (especially at EZE) seem to be arbitrary or "at the pleasure" of the officer handling my case. I've been lucky before and also hassled to the point of [DELETED]. Again, any advice or shared experiences are appreciated. Thanks in advance everyone.

I'm not sure about service animals but we take our dog on United in cabin and always have to go to Senasa first and pay Senasa again in the airport. There is a recent thread about the process if you do a search. Again don't know if the same rules apply regarding service animals but to play it safe I would go to Senasa and have everything prepared. Our vet goes down to the office for a fee for us, some do.

For ejdonovan. Just a heads up about the dog. You might be okay with a doctor's statement, but a friend of mine was held up for an extra $946 USD bringing in a dog at Ezeiza lately. Also heard of another US citizen charged $1500 USD (this is extra over and above the normal fees, duty, etc.) for his dog. I don't know much about the second case but in the first, they told her they would keep the dog for three days--without food and water--and if she didn't have the money by then the dog would be killed.

I don't know if you are planning to return with the dog or if your case would be treated differently but there seems to be something afoot in the matter of dogs coming in.

Back