Those who were looking for maple syrup

nikad

Registered
I just found a store that carries Canadian cans of maple syrup ( not sure about the price ) the store is on Pueyrredon between Gutierrez and Pacheco de Melo ( it is NOT Al Queso, Queso which happens to be on the same block ) They have the cans on display and they also sell cheeses, French bread from Lépi, and wines, cold cuts and preserves.

No problem, I had never seen it canned so I actually had to look twice to make it was the real thing!

If someone could report back with a price, that would be greatly appreciated. Considering the item and the location, I'm sure it won't cost much more than an arm & leg.

(Meaning, I don't think that you'll need to hand over your first born, but apparently 50% of the women in that area under 35 are having another one, just in case.)

Update: FOund maple syrup at Disco on Peña and Billinghurst where they have the honeys, jams, etc: small bottle, cannot remember the brand 55 pesos.... ( kinda pricey )

maple syrup comes in grades and colors which make a great deal of difference in price. its not very cheap in canada or here in ny when i go shopping later today i will look up the prices they charge here (long island) just for a comparison.
from wiki, heres info on the grades. i often get the best grade from a canadian friend which does come in cans which are rather awkward. its transferred to a maple syrup container normally.
Canadian, U.S., and Vermont grading

U.S. Syrup grades. Left to right: Vermont Fancy, Grade A Medium Amber, Grade A Dark Amber, Grade B

In Canada, there are three grades containing several color classes, ranging from Canada #1, including Extra Light (sometimes known as AA), Light (A), and Medium (B); through #2, Amber (C); and finally #3 Dark (D). A typical year's yield will include about 25–30% of each of the #1 colors, 10% Amber, and 2% Dark. Extra-light syrups are recommended for making maple sugar candy and for use on pancakes and waffles; Light for French toast and cornbread, desserts and cereals; Medium for glazing, sweetening, or eating on its own. Number 2 grade syrups are intended for baking and flavouring. In addition, Canada #2 Amber may be labeled Ontario Amber for farm sales in that province only.[5] Number 3 grade syrup is heavy, and restricted for use in commercial flavourings.
The United States uses somewhat different grading standards. Maple syrup is divided into two major grades: Grade A and Grade B. Grade A is further broken down into three subgrades: Light Amber (sometimes known as Fancy), Medium Amber, and Dark Amber. Grade B is darker than Grade A Dark Amber. The Vermont Agency of Agriculture Food and Markets uses a similar grading system of color and taste. The grade Vermont Fancy is similar in color and taste to U.S Grade A Light (Fancy). The Vermont grading system differs from the U.S. system in maintaining a slightly higher standard of product density. Vermont maple is boiled just a bit longer for a slightly thicker, denser product. The ratio of the volume of sap to the yielded volume of finished syrup is higher in the Vermont system. Maple syrup is sold by liquid volume, not weight. The Vermont graded product has one-half percent more solid material and less water in its composition. A non-table grade of syrup called commercial, or Grade C, is also produced. This is very dark, with a very strong flavor. Commercial maple syrup is generally used as a flavoring agent in other products.
The grades roughly correspond to various times within the season when syrups are produced. Canada #1 Extra Light and U.S. Grade A Light Amber are early-season grades, while Canada #2 and #3 and U.S. Grade B are late-season grades. Typically #1 Extra Light and Grade A (especially Grade A Light Amber) has a milder, more delicate flavor than #3 or Grade B, which is very dark with a robust flavor. The dark grades of syrup are primarily used for cooking and baking.

here are some basic state side prices for top quality grade a light or vermont fancy. these two types are about twice the price of med amber etc.
pint 14.95 usa dollars
quart 21.95 usa dollars
half gallon 39.95 usa dollars
grade a light or fancy
the amber syrups are half these prices or so of these prices as considered lower grade its like wine ..... if you have the palette.

Very interesting info diego, heheh eno w I will have to go back and check what quality it was :)

nikad said:
I just found a store that carries Canadian cans of maple syrup ( not sure about the price ) the store is on Pueyrredon between Gutierrez and Pacheco de Melo ( it is NOT Al Queso, Queso which happens to be on the same block ) They have the cans on display and they also sell cheeses, French bread from Lépi, and wines, cold cuts and preserves.

I wanted to do the master cleanse for pre-holiday festivities and was so happy to find your recommendation from last year. The guys there are super nice and they have 100% pure (I'm guessing about Grade B) Maple Syrup. They also have lots of other little goodies we expats are often in search of, but the maple syrup was the key find. :)

The store is Productos Reale Gourmet Av. Pueyrredon 2054 phone: 4803.8535

Back