three prong plug

sora

Registered
My laptop has a three prong plug. I've been able to find adapter for Argentinian sockets for two prong plugs but not for three prong plus. Does anyone know where I can get a three prong to two prong adapter? Thanks

As a last resort, you can simply break off the third prong and it'll work in the two prong.

The adapters are hard to come by. I just changed the plug on my laptop for an Argentinian one and it works fine!
As a side note. since all plugs here lack the "Earth" wire be careful touching any electrical appliance thats plugged in without shoes. You wont die but it can give you quite a buzz.

go to your local Ferretteria and ask for the brand 'Sica' - they are best quality with earth.

look on your laptop's transformer - most have a range of 110 - 240v - therefore works here and the US without transformer - and you can buy the outlet-to-transformer piece here as a sealed three prong unit from Carrefour, ferreteria, Easy, etc

I would buy it here as you may not know the style of outlet where you are staying - it can vary from Australian, spanish or argentine fittings.

*do* get a surge protector/regulator - the electric current does jump around especially in older buildings - or make sure you have thermatic fuses in your fuse box rather the the cheapy ones

:::rain::: said:
The adapters are hard to come by. I just changed the plug on my laptop for an Argentinian one and it works fine!
As a side note. since all plugs here lack the "Earth" wire be careful touching any electrical appliance thats plugged in without shoes. You wont die but it can give you quite a buzz.

The three pin plugs do have an earth, though probably not in very old buildings.

The two pin cable socket that goes into your adaptor is usually moulded onto the cable, these can be picked up cheap enough. Why not just get another with an Argentine plug, and have one for here and one for home.

tangobob said:
The three pin plugs do have an earth, though probably not in very old buildings.

The two pin cable socket that goes into your adaptor is usually moulded onto the cable, these can be picked up cheap enough. Why not just get another with an Argentine plug, and have one for here and one for home.

Oh ya your right I was thinking of the two pin. My dvd player has a two pin and it has a serious charge running through it, I think I'll invest in a 3 pin for it.

they change the law here and have changed to the 3 prong adapters so they shouldnt be to hard to find... go to easy it is a home improvemnt store and you can find lots of stuff, also in galleria jardin in the center, is everything you would ever need for any computer and it is a lot cheaper then other places, because it is a galeria only for computer stuff.... my husband drags me down there all the time... and if they dont have what you need they usually recommend you where to go... so i would recomend going there it is you can enter via florida or lavalle ... i believe or ask anyone there and they will point you in the right direction.....

Back