Time Outside Argentina For Permanent Residents

Farenheit

Registered
I know this was covered before, and you have to enter once per two years, but I couldn't find anything that refers to this on the migraciones site. Does anyone have any relevant links? Thanks in advance!

http://www.refworld.org/docid/4804c0e0c.html

An official at the National Immigration Office (Dirección Nacional de Migraciones) of the Ministry of Interior (Ministerio del Interior) provided the following information in an 18 January 2008 telephone interview with the Research Directorate. A permanent resident of Argentina who has lived outside of Argentina for less than two years is allowed to re-enter the country and keep the same status without facing any hurdles (Argentina 18 Jan. 2008). If the permanent resident has lived outside Argentina for more than two years, the National Immigration Office will decide whether to strip the individual of permanent status (ibid.). According to same source at the National Immigration Office, if the person intends to re-establish himself or herself in Argentina, the permanent residency status is usually re-issued [translation] "without any problems" (ibid.). If the permanent resident is the parent of an Argentine-born child, the administrative process is still required, but acceptance was reported as [translation] "automatic" (ibid.).

I know that earlier I had posted that according to the Immigration and Refugee Board an Argentine permanent resident can reside outside Argentina for less than two years without losing permanency status, but over lunch today with my cousin who is an escribano in Buenos Aires that very subject came up. He told me it's not two years. At least not any more. He said one can stay outside of Argentine less than six months without losing permanent residency. I asked if he was sure because I had read that it was two years and he swore the limit is less than six months.

Back