Permiso for child to travel outside the country with one parent

skyway

Registered
Hi folks,

Just wondering if anyone would know where one would go to get a "permiso" for our child to travel with one parent for a few days from Argentina to Bolivia...

Let me initially give you some details:

- I live in Spain (have permanent residency / NIE etc.)
- I do not have any Argentinian "papers" i.e. no DNI, permanent residency etc.
- My wife is Argentinian and still lives there at the moment.
- Our child was born in Argentina and has a DNI.

I am not sure if the permiso needs to be initiated from Argentina or Spain. I don't think it would be Spain as there is not any official record of the child here i.e. he does not have a NIE. But, at the same time, I am not sure how the permiso would be granted / approved on the Argentinian side as I am not on the system there...

Finally, is a permiso even necessary to travel between Arg and Bolivia?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Yes, you need it to take the child out of the country at any border.
You go to an “escribano” to get it. You can get one for just this trip or a long term one that is valid until the child is 18. The long term one is more economical if the mother agrees to it. (If she is uncomfortable with you having it she can keep it when not in use.)

It’s very important that you ask them to put the equivalent of a DNI in the paperwork. If they use your passport number that can change when you get a new passport and you permiso document will be useless!

We made a document that allows the children to travel on their own as well. That way they can travel to Europe with their grandparents without having to make any additional paperwork.

You only need it to leave the country, you don’t need it to come back.

Yeah, any lawyer should easily have this available. As mentioned, it needs to be a Notary Public that signs/seals the document but they all should have this template.

I should add that they escribano makes the document and then it gets sent somewhere to be legalized. This can take some time depending on where you live. So don’t wait too long to get the process started.

Back