Tips for a quick trip to Patagonia?

nledec

Registered
I'm looking for advice for a 2-3 day trip to Patagonia in November:

-where to go?
-hotel?
-hiking/tours/guides?

Never been, so anything will help :)

calafate : visit perito moreno (walk on the glacier) and a boat tour to the glaciers (for example upsala)
impressive

Bariloche is also nice, if a bit touristy. And there is Trelew (a Welsh district) which is very charming and laid back. And this is Whale watching season in Puerto
Madryn (Sep and Oct), quite spectacular. Patagonia is one of nature's great gifts. Spectacular all around.

Three days - not much. Here's some options:

Option 1
Friday - morning flight to Calafate - visit Perito Moreno in the afternoon - overnight Calafate
Saturday - morning bus to El Chalten - afternoon hike to Cerro Torre
Sunday - morning hike to Fitz Roy look out
- bus back to Calafate - flight home

Alternative to above is to stay in Calafate region and stay on an Estancia and do some horseback riding. Another alternative is to stay in Calafate and do a glacier cruise, a glacier hike, or some 6WD adventures.

Option 2
Friday - fly to Bariloche - drive to San Martin de los Andes - explore
Sat, Sun - hike, boat, mountain bike, etc. fly back Sunday night from San Martin or Bariloche

Option 3
Friday - Morning flight to Trelew - drive to Punta Tombo to visit the penguins then drive back to Puerto Madryn and stay the night
Saturday - slowly drive up the coast looking for whales, and then go to Puerto Piramedes and do a whale watching trip. In the afternoon, drive to Punto Delgado to see the elephant seals. If its in your budget, stay at Faro Delgado right there
Sunday - explore the eastern coast of Peninsual Valdes and then drive back to Trelew in time for a flight back to BA

Option 4
Friday - fly to Ushuaia - explore
Sat - full day explore
Sun - morning explore - evening fly back to BA

Lonely Planet just published a new book for Argentina. I bet that could be helpful on specifics for hotels, tours, ect.

Kathy K said:
Lonely Planet just published a new book for Argentina. I bet that could be helpful on specifics for hotels, tours, ect.

hi kathy, do you know if the new edition is already available somewhere in bs as? the shops I have been so far still have the old edition only - if at all...
arwed

Hi Arwed, if you live near by Alto Palermo, check the book stores out. I believe they have the quite new version, I can't be sure whether it's 2009 or 2010 as I only glanced through it but definitely not the one I have (2008).

Bariloche has the most bang for your buck. Here is a post of my dream week in Bariloche. Just choose whatever floats your boat.

Also, we manage vacation rentals and offer a Expat discount. Shoot me a PM if you are interested.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
jantango Expat Life 1
A Expat Life 7
F Expat Life 12
F Expat Life 9
B Newcomers Forum 0
Back