Tips for moving BA to US

BAJoe

Registered
I`m American born, but have lived in BA for most my life. (no visa problems) Seeking tips for relocating back to my country, though I feel more like an alien, since I have no friends or family in Florida where I want to reside. (winters just too cold and humid for me here!!)

Any opinions on which is currently the best place in Florida to move to?
Is Miami really as bad as some people say? (crime, unemployment)
Which areas for rent are nearest to where social events occur, and best to meet people? (like Palermo, Cañitas, Barrio Norte here).

I suppose the main cosmopolitan alternative to Miami for best opportunities to meet people would be Orlando, correct?

Any decent websites for social contacts such as this one?

All suggestions will be appreciated.!! Thnx

I think a lot has to do with your age and financial status etc. etc. You will not be able to live in Florida without a car. There are a few other things to think about, besides your social life, such as health insurance. Generally, the working class only socializes on weekends. I think that your best choice is the Fort Lauderale area. I spend 1 week every year in South Florida. Live there? NEVER! EVER!

Tip for relocating back there (which may or may not apply to you specifically): make sure your US taxes are in order... you could find yourself in back-taxes hell.

Heard a story the other week of an expat living in Santiago that after 5 years down there decided she wanted to go back... but she hadn't been filing any returns in the USA while away, ended up with an audit from hell.

I have lived in Miami and part time BA for many years. Miami is nothing like BA. Other than the South Beach area (very touristy but pockets of enlightenment!) and the new Mid-Town area (art galleries, new great restaurants, a bit "seedy" in places), the rest of Miami is a large suburb in which you will need a car. I personally have not had a problem with crime in 17 years but it is here although mainly in questionable areas like any other city. There are lots of police in the major tourist areas.
Most Argentines who have money LOVE Miami because it is so much more "laid back" and easy compared to BA. Sun, cheap easy shopping (compared to BA), beautiful beaches, clean (no graffiti or dog poop), and one can walk around relatively free of crime and getting fake dollar bills as change for received goods! Lol......

Unemployment is a problem in Miami unless you are a professional with good skills. Housing is now relatively cheap due to the "crash". Many Argentines of means are coming to Miami just to buy cheap properties (in foreclosure for example) and to do their shopping.

Any other questions, you can send me a PM.

Good Luck!

Back