Tips for newbies to Bs. As.

I have yet to understand the expat obsession about the dog poop here. Yes there is some of it on the sidewalks, but all you have to do it glance down occasionally to make sure that you've missed it.

you're kidding, right?... right?

I have yet to understand what sort of pig-person can own a dog and not clean up after it. It takes about one second to put your hand inside a plastic bag, pick up the "debris" (without ever touching it), pull the bag inside out and toss it. This is hardly rocket science.

I suppose those who don't do it must be the same barbarians who don't know how to flush in public restrooms.

StuckLikeGlue said:
I don't quite understand what you mean here... are you saying that you've had bus drivers who ignore you hitting the buzzer or asking to be let off just because they know you're a foreigner??

That is exactly what I am saying. It is by no means a reflection on all drivers, most of them are very nice and do their job well. The ones that have done this were assholes who looked like they didn't make it past elementary school.

gpop said:
I got some neighbors down the street with 3 massive Grate Danes, 2 equally huge rottweilers (that seemed to be bred with a hippo) and a bunch of growing puppies... if the poop don't get ya', the reek will!!!
I see the tiny little owner walking her monsters (ahem...without a shovel......or a backhoe) around to the next block laaaate at night so nobody will know it was her dogs that done it!:rolleyes:

2 years huh??? You lead a charmed life my friend!

Yeah, I'll admit, the smell can be downright awful sometimes. But the worst smell for me is the city after it rains and then everything smells like cat pee.

I made lead a charmed life in regards to not stepping on dog poop, but not much else down here has worked that well for me. Not stepping in dog crap hardly cancels out all the other crap I've endured here.

mariposa said:
you're kidding, right?... right?

I mean I guess I get it. It is smelly, (most) people don't pick it up and expats seem to step in it very easily. But compared to everything else here and all the day to day challenges of living here it just seems a very odd thing for people to fixate on. Dog poop is really the least of my concerns in this city.

va2ba said:
I mean I guess I get it. It is smelly, (most) people don't pick it up and expats seem to step in it very easily. But compared to everything else here and all the day to day challenges of living here it just seems a very odd thing for people to fixate on. Dog poop is really the least of my concerns in this city.

To me, the poop is an analogy of the problems of the city.

The "stewards" do know better and it is entirely within reason that the crap can be cleaned up like any responsible person should, but they don't.
They talk about it, or claim that they always do, but actually never did. It's someone eases fault. They were in a rush, or the blanket "mind your business!" attitude.

Having to dodge the pooch-pies daily is probably (on some subconscious level) the reminder of all that's wrong with this place, but we are powerless to appeal to the sense of responsibility of people who assume that "someone else will clean it up...eventually".

gpop said:

The "stewards" do know better and it is entirely within reason that the crap can be cleaned up like any responsible person should, but they don't.
They talk about it, or claim that they always do, but actually never did. It's someone eases fault. They were in a rush, or the blanket "mind your business!" attitude.

Having to dodge the pooch-pies daily is probably (on some subconscious level) the reminder of all that's wrong with this place, but we are powerless to appeal to the sense of responsibility of people who assume that "someone else will clean it up...eventually".

I see your point, and I get it, but that is reading way to much into piles of dog poop. But I do understand what you are saying.

gpop said:

Yeah, but there's ubiquitous dog poop, cigarette butts, litter, etc. in many places in the world, including in places that would otherwise strike you as being inhabited by people with a far greater sense of civic responsibility and investment in collective welfare and whatnot.

va2ba said:

Well it's because the poop is so in your face..well not literally, it's more likely between your toes if you step in it wearing strappy sandals....sorry, a bad memory just came back! As many expats are here 0-1 year the poop immediately stands out as daily and horrible part of walking down otherwise pretty tree lined streets. We lived near Paque centennario + multiple dog walkers walked past our house: I used to call the daily walk to kindergarten with the pram "dog shit slalom"...the real Bsas crap (pardon the pun) ie crime, corruption etc become bigger issues once you are here longer .

fifs2 said:
I used to call the daily walk to kindergarten with the pram "dog shit slalom"...the real Bsas crap (pardon the pun) ie crime, corruption etc become bigger issues once you are here longer .

around the corner from us is Dog Shit Alley.... the corner of the block running from Eslovenia and Arce around to Soldado de la Independencia -- there's a school there and no other buildings so everyone seems to take there dog there. while you can avoid the bit on Eslovenia the portion on Soldado continues right up to the doorstep of the first cafe... and the sidewalk on the other side of the street is a disgrace, so it's easier to avoid the piles of poo than get the wheels of the stroller through the potholes on the other side.

va2ba said:
I have yet to understand the expat obsession about the dog poop here. Yes there is some of it on the sidewalks, but all you have to do it glance down occasionally to make sure that you've missed it. And most likely, you are already looking down trying not to sprain your ankle on the sidewalks here. In over 2 years here, I have not stepped in dog poop.

I'm glad you have been able to avoid stepping in dog poop. Unfortunately, a lot of blind people who live on my street are unable to avoid it.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
jantango Expat Life 1
A Expat Life 7
F Expat Life 12
F Expat Life 9
jantango Expat Life 11
Back