Tips for traveling on Autobus

RJ85

Registered
Some tips for traveling on bus through Tucuman, Cafayate, Tafi del Valle, Salta and Mendoza.
-Choose the cama option ALWAYS. For 10 dollars more you won't suffer from a terrible neck ache the rest of your vacation.
-When given a chance to choose a seat it's best to go for the one without a passenger in front and farthest away from the bathroom (stinky and lots of transit by it).
-Tickets do run out on buses so if you have a chance to buy them all at once do so and try to stick to that schedule.
-Bring your own toilet paper while traveling- major lack of it in all public bathrooms.
-Many buses don't offer food or snacks even if it is over an 8 hr ride so I highly recommend buying some stuff before you get on since most buses won't make stops.
-Invest in one of those neck pillows preferably the ones that blow up (they're around 15 pesos or 4 U.S. dollars).
-Take a sheet with you, it gets pretty chilly and it's always nice to be able to snuggle on an 18 hr. bus ride.
-It does matter what bus line you take- I was stuck in the Andes for over 5 hours because I chose the wrong bus and another one of my bus rides broke down because of the AC. All in all about 8 hrs. lost on waiting for the buses to get their act together.
-Bus lines I recommend in Argentina: CATA and Flecha Bus (Cata served champagne- this is the type of buses people rave about BUT be careful they're not all like this).
-Always have some change on you for the people that load and unload your luggage- sometimes the baggage handlers won't give you the ticket label of your luggage unless you hand over a few pesos (often will complain if the amount is too small) and you need this in order to get your luggage at the end of the ride.
-Keep your stuff close to you, no incidents of theft but I made sure to hold on to my stuff while I slept or stuff it under my seat.

http://iofthebeholderinbuenosaires.blogspot.com/

Autobus? Is that a ´micro ´? I have a better suggestion: Take the train from BA to Tucuman. There is a sleeping car with two real beds, clean sheets and a blanket + a sink and closet. The train is run by a competent private company (with government subsidy), FERROBAIRES, from Retiro Station. There´s also a dining-car. I don´t recommend travelling in the other classes of service, however. It´s a bit slow but you will be comfortable.

RJ85 said:
Some tips for traveling on bus through Tucuman, Cafayate, Tafi del Valle, Salta and Mendoza.
-Choose the cama option ALWAYS. For 10 dollars more you won't suffer from a terrible neck ache the rest of your vacation.
-When given a chance to choose a seat it's best to go for the one without a passenger in front and farthest away from the bathroom (stinky and lots of transit by it).
-Tickets do run out on buses so if you have a chance to buy them all at once do so and try to stick to that schedule.
-Bring your own toilet paper while traveling- major lack of it in all public bathrooms.
-Many buses don't offer food or snacks even if it is over an 8 hr ride so I highly recommend buying some stuff before you get on since most buses won't make stops.
-Invest in one of those neck pillows preferably the ones that blow up (they're around 15 pesos or 4 U.S. dollars).
-Take a sheet with you, it gets pretty chilly and it's always nice to be able to snuggle on an 18 hr. bus ride.
-It does matter what bus line you take- I was stuck in the Andes for over 5 hours because I chose the wrong bus and another one of my bus rides broke down because of the AC. All in all about 8 hrs. lost on waiting for the buses to get their act together.
-Bus lines I recommend in Argentina: CATA and Flecha Bus (Cata served champagne- this is the type of buses people rave about BUT be careful they're not all like this).
-Always have some change on you for the people that load and unload your luggage- sometimes the baggage handlers won't give you the ticket label of your luggage unless you hand over a few pesos (often will complain if the amount is too small) and you need this in order to get your luggage at the end of the ride.
-Keep your stuff close to you, no incidents of theft but I made sure to hold on to my stuff while I slept or stuff it under my seat.

http://iofthebeholderinbuenosaires.blogspot.com/

Thanks a lot for all those advices! I totally agree with you!
I went to Mendoza two weeks ago for 4 days. It's like a 15 hours travel. But the bus are very comfortable! It's a very good way to travel, because it's cheap and you can discover the country!
But I do not recommend it for long travel! For example in order to go to the South (Patagonia) Take the plane!

For buying the tickets, you just have to go to recoleta stations!
I went there by subte with the D line in 2 min from the center!
Like that it's easier to get exactly all the bus hours and, you can choose your place in the bus etc! If you can do it, it's better!

Back