Tips please for Puerto Madryn, Peninsula Valdes, etc.???

kroberts03

Registered
Hola!

I am planning a trip to Puerto Madryn area the 3rd week of September. I am really excited about it, especially to see the whales!! ;) I searched through the website for advice, but most of the posts I found were a couple years old. I was wondering if anyone has gone recently that could share with me ideas, advice, etc. for my trip?

Some of the things I am looking for:

Ideal amount of time for the trip
What town to stay in
Best whale watching excursion
Rent a car vs. relying on buses/tour companies
Best penguin excursion
Anything else you feel worth mentioning

I really appreciate any insight that you all can share! Gracias!

Puerto Piramides is where the boats leave from - it's about 80 km from Puerto Madryn. I would stay rent a car and aim to stay in Piramides 2 or 3 nights. It's very small with not much to do but if you have a car there are sealion colonies nearby, or you could head to Caleta Valdes and see the elephant seals and if you're lucky some Orcas, although the drive is about 200km round trip all on gravel roads which you may or may not want to do.

The advantage of staying in Piramides is that if one day it's too rough to go out, you can wait until the next day when hopefully it will be calmer.

Also with a car you can visit the Playa Doradilla (an easy gravel road) which is not far from Puerto Madryn, on the way to Piramides. I've been there 3 times and each time have seen whales swimming up and down the beach, less than 10m away from you. Well worth a visit.

Also, bear in mind that the penguins are at Punta Tombo which is 200k or so south of Puerto Madryn. I've been twice, both times driving from Madryn or Gaiman. Both penguins and whales need about a total of 5 days - Gaiman is a much nicer place to stay than Madryn - the heart of the Welsh colony.

Definitely go to punto tombo
26159_360261157151_5538030_n.jpg

I'd rent a car. It'll let you get around and avoid the crowds a little more easily. I'd definitely stay in Gaiman/Trelew before Puerto Madryn which is a bit of a pit. It'll mean more of a drive to get to the peninsula but its worth it.

We stayed in Piramides, nice little hippie town with some good restaurants. We were not there during the whale season, during summer. It gets really crowded, and I heard more so when the whales are there, so definitely have reservations, and a car. Also there is a place in the park to see the penguins. We didn't go to Puerto Madryn, stayed in the park for 3 days and had a great time. You will want to have a car.
Nancy
Nancy

Back