To Buy Or Not To Buy, That Is The Question!?

we have a car, a honda fit, which is heaven to park! no matter what we will always need a car as my husband has children and also needs it for work!
so insurance and gas will always be part of our lives, but I've always wanted a hilux and the price seems amazing with the exchange! but yes, i think parking will be a nightmare, as well as the over-all fear of vandalism!

To travel around the city, the car is more a trouble than a solution. It is impossible to park anywhere, the traffic is disguting, the tickets, the quema coches, the porteños crazy driving, the colectivos!!!! too much stress!!!
Now if you want to get out of town, go to an estancia, a country club, travel to the interior, make a wonderful trip to Patagonia, etc, the car is obviuosly necessary.

Irregardless of the debate as to own a car here or not , ( We live in Beautiful Zona Norte , with our own parking space.) I would never give up our car. We do not go to Cap Fed much , but out here in the Burbs , we need a car. We just bought a Ford Fiesta 0Km , and I am very pleased with the deal we got , using those terrible unlawful "blue dollars". ( Note to government agencies monitoring this forum: vafunculo!)

I hope to buy a truck soon , for those trips to the interior. There is a large dealer in Macshwitz that sells camioneta's. Cheaper than in the city.

Good luck.

BTW: The beloved well cared for 2005 Clio is for sale.........

Have you driven the Hilux? It's a very reliable truck but holy hell, it is murder on your back if you are driving long distances. I really don't like how it drives but they do last forever. We have the VW Amarok pickup truck and it's AMAZING. Drives like a car - so nice. It is however crazy expensive.

I will say that both my MIL and my dear friend's Hiluxes were stolen on Libertador btwn Maure and Olleros. The policia told me they are the #1 stolen truck. Not sure if that is true but like I said, def get a cochera.

Since you have a car already, you know the crazy costs involved with them here. As far as it being a good investment, you can always resell but chances are, you're going to get paid in pesos when you resell it so keep that in mind.

Re: investment

Historically (past 10/12 years, before I've no clue), buying a car was a good way to keep value in Argentina, but for different reasons throughout the years.
In the early 2000s (before inflation became really strong), used cars (and especially cheap ones) could resell for high prices because Menem in the years before had put in place a bonus for people sending their old car to the junkyard, so many got destroyed, then the corralito came and people couldn't afford new cars and there was a deficit of used ones.

More recently, it's because of inflation of course.

Right now, there's still inflation (keeps value) but the devaluation/dollar blue thing has for consequence that many people buy cars (new luxury cars sold have gone up like 30/35%?), so this latter aspect could be negative investment wise (like if in 2015 there's a better trust in the peso & economy: quite many people could sell their cars together -> bigger offer/lower prices).

You can even save an additional 10/15% on the purchase: wait for about 4/6 weeks (first "medio aguinaldo" to be paid soon).

Frenchie don't hold your breath ... no quote today, The Moreno curse!!

Back