Too much bureaucracy, too many public workers!

el_expatriado

Registered
Think there is too much bureaucracy here in Argentina? You're right!

I just read this article in Clarin that says there are 45 public employees per 1000 workers in each of the provinces (not counting federal gov't employees).

WOW! Almost 5% of all workers here are public sector provincial workers. That's crazy.

Just for comparison, the average is about 17.6 per 1000 for state gov't workers in the USA. I'm sure other countries have even fewer public employees.

Can't we get rid of at least 50% of all these employees? No wonder taxes are so high here.

No, the stats I published are per inhabitants, not per workers. And only for provincial/state employees, not federal employees.

I find the nickname ñoquis quite cute, actually. :D

I remember going with my husband to get his DNI - it seemed they had just enough workers to get in each other's way. One girl's job was to stand and fan herself with the stack of papers listing people's appointment times as she flirted with one of her coworkers. She was probably supposed to run the receipt machine or deliver copies, judging by another coworkers annoyed glance as he had to walk all the way across the booth and do it himself. :rolleyes:

On topic (kind of), one of my Argentine compañeros sent me this today, followed by "es argentina...".

Attachments

• 403892_4108600724017_1152851182_n.jpg
    403892_4108600724017_1152851182_n.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 40
I remember some 30 years ago in Egypt, where they had 1 shovel + 5 men to work it (1 pushing + 4 drawing attached ropes).

Stupid?

The alternative was 1 working + 4 unemployed sitting at home getting unpleasant ideas.

Back