Tourism in Argentina

perry

Registered
I am posting this thread for Antipodean so he can present his facts that tourism is currently growing in Argentina . In Bariloche a city I lived in for three years its having its worse crisis since the 1990s currently as tourism is way down . This article below states the facts on the ground there .

I wish very much that Argentina is the premier tourism destination of the americas and it deserves to be for its unique landscapes and cuture . But for a product to be successful it has to be affordable for a tourist and we are now pricing ourselves out of the market. If this is not reversed soon the economic implications are very for all to see .

Thanks for setting up this thread, Perry.

Following on from the Food Prices thread where you first brought up international tourism and the idea that with more international tourism, it would be beneficial to the Argentine economy in this crisis yet you expressed the belief that international tourism to Argentina had "plummeted".
Official tourism data can be found here (@perry - if you have any doubts as to the authenticity of this data please raise it with SINTA, INDEC and WTTC) which clearly shows international tourist arrivals to Argentina are higher in each month this year than last year to date.

You have now posted a six paragraph article about tourism in Bariloche specifically. Which I also share the concern about but also see a glimmer of hope, although not much in the short term. In those six paragraphs nothing much is mentioned about why occupancy has been so low in May this year in Bariloche. The reasons for this are:
- May is always one of the lowest months in Bariloche
- Domestic tourism is the problem (e.g. Argentines visiting destinations within Argentina) and is weaker than last year, primarily because Argentines this year (a) do not have pre-viaje but they do have another government incentive now called "cuota simple" designed to help finance domestic tourism (b) according to advance airline booking data are preferring to travel abroad presumably because now that the dollar is not as expensive and culturally Argentines have a tendency to prefer to travel abroad than within Argentine if given the chance (c) the obvious economic crisis affecting some households that would have otherwise travelled.
- Domestic tourism is currently estimated to account for 80%+ of all tourism to Bariloche

Meanwhile,
- Hotel reservations during the winter school holiday peak season (e.g. July) are higher than this month together with higher prices
- Brazilian arrivals in Bariloche continue to be strong, this year there are expected to be 40% more Brazilians visiting Bariloche than last year
- This winter there will be direct flights from Bariloche to a few Brazilian and Chilean cities by four airlines

This last point is the key difference and hope/ opportunity I see for touristic areas of Bariloche/ Argentina that simply did not exist in the 90's - Brazil, a country of 215.000.000 people with a large middle class that is now travelling like crazy only a 3-5 hour flight away, while Bariloche / Argentina is able to offer things that Brazilians don't have at home and with touristic prices that are pretty similar to those in Brazil or elsewhere in the region still offering competitive value. IMO the city and area still lacks a lot of investment and can't expect to rely on snow-flakes and rapa-nui forever, but it would do well to focus on higher yielding international tourism with hard currency to spend instead of the roller-coaster that is domestic tourism or cheap-as-chips grad party tourism.

And above all it is worth pointing out that Bariloche is but one destination in Argentina and receives only around 800.000 tourists (local and international) a year in recent times, while between JAN24-MAR24 Argentina as a whole has so far received 2.300.000 foreign tourists alone.

So, Perry, having clarified what is going on in Bariloche, I eagerly await for you to show that international tourist arrivals in Argentina has plummeted so far in 2024 with "alternative facts" (?)

Last edited:
Thanks for setting up this thread, Perry.

Following on from the Food Prices thread where you first brought up international tourism and the idea that with more international tourism, it would be beneficial to the Argentine economy in this crisis yet you expressed the belief that international tourism to Argentina had "plummeted".
Official tourism data can be found here (@perry - if you have any doubts as to the authenticity of this data please raise it with SINTA, INDEC and WTTC) which clearly shows international tourist arrivals to Argentina are higher in each month this year than last year to date.

You have now posted a six paragraph article about tourism in Bariloche specifically. Which I also share the concern about but also see a glimmer of hope, although not much in the short term. In those six paragraphs nothing much is mentioned about why occupancy has been so low in May this year in Bariloche. The reasons for this are:
- May is always one of the lowest months in Bariloche
- Domestic tourism is the problem (e.g. Argentines visiting destinations within Argentina) and is weaker than last year, primarily because Argentines this year (a) do not have pre-viaje but they do have another government incentive now called "cuota simple" designed to help finance domestic tourism (b) according to advance airline booking data are preferring to travel abroad presumably because now that the dollar is not as expensive and culturally Argentines have a tendency to prefer to travel abroad than within Argentine if given the chance (c) the obvious economic crisis affecting some households that would have otherwise travelled.
- Domestic tourism is currently estimated to account for 80%+ of all tourism to Bariloche

Meanwhile,
- Hotel reservations during the winter school holiday peak season (e.g. July) are higher than this month together with higher prices
- Brazilian arrivals in Bariloche continue to be strong, this year there are expected to be 40% more Brazilians visiting Bariloche than last year
- This winter there will be direct flights from Bariloche to a few Brazilian and Chilean cities by four airlines

This last point is the key difference and hope/ opportunity I see for touristic areas of Bariloche/ Argentina that simply did not exist in the 90's - Brazil, a country of 215.000.000 people with a large middle class that is now travelling like crazy only a 3-5 hour flight away, while Bariloche / Argentina is able to offer things that Brazilians don't have at home and with touristic prices that are pretty similar to those in Brazil or elsewhere in the region still offering competitive value. IMO the city and area still lacks a lot of investment and can't expect to rely on snow-flakes and rapa-nui forever, but it would do well to focus on higher yielding international tourism with hard currency to spend instead of the roller-coaster that is domestic tourism or cheap-as-chips grad party tourism.

And above all it is worth pointing out that Bariloche is but one destination in Argentina and receives only around 800.000 tourists (local and international) a year in recent times, while between JAN24-MAR24 Argentina as a whole has so far received 2.300.000 foreign tourists alone.

So, Perry, having clarified what is going on in Bariloche, I eagerly await for you to show that international tourist arrivals in Argentina has plummeted so far in 2024 with "alternative facts" (?)
Lets wait and see how the tourism season pans out for 2024 and then we can compare them to 2023 . July and August are the peak months for tourism in Bariloche. Currently in May 2024 Bariloche has seen a huge reduction in national and international tourists from last year . Of course the national tourism is the bulk of this market with the previaje scheme now effectively over .

This winter there will be direct flights from Bariloche to a few Brazilian and Chilean cities by four airlines
I would be grateful to hear more about flights direct from BRC to Chile. I do believe you that Santiago will be possible, though curious what other tiny Chile airport will fly direct. The news link you posted did not say.
I excepted JetSmart, but I do not see any. Sky airlines, whoever that is, amazing, lists some direct. ¿What others?

I would be grateful to hear more about flights direct from BRC to Chile. I do believe you that Santiago will be possible, though curious what other tiny Chile airport will fly direct. The news link you posted did not say.
I excepted JetSmart, but I do not see any. Sky airlines, whoever that is, amazing, lists some direct. ¿What others?
Sky Airlines of Chile (actually a pretty good low cost airline from there - currently advertising BRC-SCL for $110) and LATAM will also operate a few flights to SCL again this season, however I think LATAM is only operating a charter service. No other Chilean cities at this point... had heard rumours that DAP would start flights from Punta Arenas to some Patagonian cities in Argentina to complement the cruise ship and trek tours... JetSmart recently tried Concepción-Buenos Aires but it did not really work out so fairly safe to presume that all/ most Chile traffic will continue to be funnelled through SCL.

For Brazil you have:
- Viracopos - Azul
- Sao Paulo Guarulhos - Aerolineas Argentinas, LATAM, Andes (somehow back in the air again flying charters for students...)

Also I think there is now have a seasonal flight to Montevideo with Aerolineas Argentinas and FlyBondi who were running some flights to Rio de Janeiro and Porto Alegre (unsure whether they have programmed again for this season).

In my opinion, Bariloche depends upon the four Cs: Chocolate, Cerveza, Choriso and Circumstances and the greatest of these is Circumstances. When absolutely nobody came to visit Bariloche in 2011 it wasn't incompetence or corruption on the part of the Kirchner presidency, it was a bleedin' great volcano on the other side of the border. If it's not one thing it's another: it's El Niño or La Niña or it's Covid, It's too wet or too dry, There's not enough snow or there's too much or it's the wrong sort. Bariloche is not a barometer for the health of the Argentinian tourist industry, it's just.. well.. ...a barometer.

In my opinion, Bariloche depends upon the four Cs: Chocolate, Cerveza, Choriso and Circumstances and the greatest of these is Circumstances. When absolutely nobody came to visit Bariloche in 2011 it wasn't incompetence or corruption on the part of the Kirchner presidency, it was a bleedin' great volcano on the other side of the border. If it's not one thing it's another: it's El Niño or La Niña or it's Covid, It's too wet or too dry, There's not enough snow or there's too much or it's the wrong sort. Bariloche is not a barometer for the health of the Argentinian tourist industry, it's just.. well.. ...a barometer.
Volcán Carrán, I remember that 😊. The ash went around the world, Johannesburg, Sydney, Auckland. The place I used to stay in Llifén (lago Ranco) was covered in ash, the fisheries in the rivers feeding the lake were finished off by 40 degree water. And the lake was covered in pumice for a while.

Interesting subject, and I’ll throw in my 2 pesos. I don’t live in Argentina (I live in the US) but my wife is Argentine and I do travel there frequently. We travel all over the US and Europe, and Argentina is a frequent topic when we meet new friends, or chat with taxi drivers or locals overseas. I have never heard of anyone intentionally visiting Argentina because it is a cheap destination (although it could be at different times) - the reasons I hear are usually because it is beautiful, it is interesting, the food is great, the people are nice, they want to see specific things (Patagonia, Iguazú, BA, Mendoza - these are generally the most mentioned places). Nobody ever mentions the cost in our discussions. In fact, that’s the case whenever we talk to other people about vacation travel - so I speculate that in general, when people go on a vacation (and especially international travelers), they aren’t targeting cost as the primary motivator (otherwise they would probably just skip the international airfare and stay somewhere close to home). So it makes sense to me that international travel to Argentina would not be greatly impacted by the relative strength or weakness of the travelers currency.

I wish very much that Argentina is the premier tourism destination of the americas and it deserves to be for its unique landscapes and cuture . But for a product to be successful it has to be affordable for a tourist and we are now pricing ourselves out of the market. If this is not reversed soon the economic implications are very for all to see .
You may be right about tourism being down in Bariloche recently, but In January 2023 we spent two nights at Llao Llao Resort in Barlioche and paid around $232 a night (blue dollar rate). I just checked the current price for two nights and it's around $205 per night (blue dollar rate), 10% lower than early last year.. Maybe prices are lower in June than in January because of seasonal demand differences, but to me that indicates that prices are around the same as before.

Back