Tourist killed in Plaza San Martin

Sorry to repeat again but what a lot of people miss here is that 'La Policia Federal' is controlled by the National K government. The same gov that has continuously fought against lowering the age of conviction for young offenders is the same Government that has started to pull out police from public hospitals, city gov offices, subways etc etc.

The national K government is at war with our local city gov & they will stop at nothing to destroy it so that they can impose their mafia like system of control onto this city that by the way , as imperfect as it seems, is the last bastion of democracy left in this country. We the locals are the last in the list of priorities to this dark force from the south.

There is a foreign influence on the local population, it comes from Santa Cruz where there is NO 'democracy' as such, they don't have a free press like here. They eat journalists for breakfast down there & the moronic chori-pan munching K voters that mandated this southern mafia is not able to grasp just what the real consequences are for the future of this country when you vote in a highly organized group of corrupt criminals to run your country. One of the first casualties is law & order.

Now the party is over & the %54 have been 'bought' , there's no cash left in the tin (las reservas), wheel out Las Malvinas!!! Smoke & mirror time!! Turn up the drama dial! Distract the plebs. Just sit back & enjoy the freak show starring Hanibal & Frankenstina!

PhilipDT said:
http://www.infobae.com/notas/631330...afo-frances-habia-sido-detenido-10-veces.html

This is the problem with the justice system here. They need stricter punishments and efficient enforcement NOW!

fifs2 said:
The question is what policies? Universal child support that gets eaten away by inflation, payment to attend rallies & waves flags, free netbooks but no hygienic living conditions. I just wish I knew what their policies were to increase literacy and employment in the villa sector and how theywere really progressing on such in this unique opportunity of substantial growth when real leaps in education and employment should be felt in a subsequent reduction in basic crime..

If you're curious, you can read this article published in the Journal of Law and Economics and written by economists at the World Bank. Based on their conclusions, inequality causes crime; in other words, it's just not a mere correlation. However, they are not sure exactly which policies in particular would ameliorate the effects of socioeconomic inequality, and because of that they call for more research on the topic.

Yesterday i saw 3 little Villera kids(dirty, unwashed) in a place where they shouldnt be in the first place, gave them some bread i was eating( i know big mistake) and they asked me for my coke. That makes me so sad and i am sure that in some years they will feel as good as the Guy who just killed that Frenchman

bradlyhale said:
If you're curious, you can read this article published in the Journal of Law and Economics and written by economists at the World Bank. Based on their conclusions, inequality causes crime; in other words, it's just not a mere correlation. However, they are not sure exactly which policies in particular would ameliorate the effects of socioeconomic inequality, and because of that they call for more research on the topic.

Thanks Bradley, you always make the effort to supply sources and I'm always too lazy. We humans have really screwed up the world and the best we can do is put mostly out of touch politicians in charge of holding forums to discuss the mess we have made and ponder how on earth to fix it.....

bradlyhale said:
If you're curious, you can read this article published in the Journal of Law and Economics and written by economists at the World Bank. Based on their conclusions, inequality causes crime; in other words, it's just not a mere correlation.

The slope of the line is 0.05 +- 3.3. (See the article for bigger picture). Sounds convincing to you?
Black squares represent Latin American countries. How would you draw this line if you take them off? Do you see any dependence now?

I wonder how come nobody has written an article yet on how crime rates correlate with an ability to speak spansih.

Attachments

• robbery_rates.jpg
    robbery_rates.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 14
I am still suspicious of how they arrive at the GINI index and the crime rates. I am not a statistician, but when I visit a country and see people living "en negro" with very little income and others who are billionaires, I sense that they must have a GINI higher than the U.S. or Argentina, who have some sort of safety net for homelessness. However the academics who write these articles do not have a standardized method of collecting statistics, and trust what governments tell them, and present them as fact. Garbage in-Garbage out.

captainmcd said:
I am still suspicious of how they arrive at the GINI index and the crime rates. I am not a statistician, but when I visit a country and see people living "en negro" with very little income and others who are billionaires, I sense that they must have a GINI higher than the U.S. or Argentina, who have some sort of safety net for homelessness. However the academics who write these articles do not have a standardized method of collecting statistics, and trust what governments tell them, and present them as fact. Garbage in-Garbage out.

We should all question these studies. That's the point of science. So many people say, "Hey, it's science, stupid." But a true scientist/researcher wants her/his work scrutinized, questioned, and debated. Science doesn't close doors, and there will always be bad data. The researchers in this particular study took measures to mitigate error, and the article was peer reviewed. They don't just publish these as soon as their written up. So, with that said, I think it's wise and necessary to be skeptical.

As far as the Gini Coefficient, it's not just one person or even a group, it's the aggregate. Researchers believe that the inequality or even the perception of it can lead to resentment and hatred, and this will often lead to crime.

Taking a glance at the GDP per capita in India, Argentina, and some developed countries, we see an interesting picture. Per capita, India is the lowest on the totem pole. What we could infer from this data (social spending comes into play here) is that there are a lot more people living in poverty in India than Argentina. In other words, because millions are just as poor as millions more, it is a more equal country.

As I said earlier in this thread, it is very telling that this poor man was attacked in one of the poorest (Villa 31) and richest places (Edificio Kavanagh) in the city.

I agree with the captain, phooey to all those painstaking attempts to understand our world - why don't we just go with our preconceived ideas and idealogies? My history teacher told me that there was once a time when people lived like this, of course I didn't believe him as this was, of course, a conclusion drawn from scientific inquiry and besides I have no anecdotal evidence to show that what he said was true.

He claimed it was something called the dark ages.

steveinbsas said:
Tourists boycoting BA and the local governement bulldozing Villa 31 are mutually exclusive.

I am sure I will never go to Pittsburgh (who here cares about Ptitsburgh, anyway?).

At least a "poor" family in Pittsburg can make over $30,000 per year tax free (from the IRS) and own a car and have a TV in every bedroom...and get food stamps and a free cell phone.

Steve,
I liked Pittsburgh. Nice people. A good university for graduate studies. Art deco buildings in great condition and still functioning. And the home of Andy Warhol and a museum of his and his proteges’ work. However, as a foreigner, it was surreal to me that the heart of this city should not even be glimpsed because it’s poor. And that to hide that dangerous area from view, a circular road had been built around and below this city core to make you think that poverty and crime don’t exist in this city or shouldn’t be witnessed or needn’t concern you so long as you don’t live in this ghetto. No resident in or visitor to BA has to suffer seeing IT as a doughnut with a huge hole in its centre.

If allowing the poor of a dangerous area in the US to keep the few goods they own (!) and be entitled to the potential (?!) to obtain a subsistence income for a family that passes for ‘opportunity’ in areas where people can’t afford and don’t even have a shop selling fresh food where they live; and if these crumbs of charity allow others to ignore poverty and crime in Pittsburgh and ask dismissively who cares about that city, would you equally be in favour of digging into your pocket now to give the poor of Villa 31 at least equivalent financial assistance?

How many BA associations do the people posting here draconian or irrelevant ‘remedies’ such as telling foreigners to boycott visiting all of BA are actively involved with their neighbourhood associations in BA seeking greater police presence and a more independent justice system that gets serious about penalizing criminals? How many support the cooperatives in villas that try to help the non-criminals in them and give kids hope? Why are there no ‘thanks’ yet to the poster who directed us to a cooperative in Villa 31 that knits to sell sweaters or is that activity now perceived as lower in prestige than a career of flipping burgers after obtaining a graduate degree?

When did being poor come to be treated the same as committing a crime? Especially now when people aged 30 in the West have to still live with their middle-class parents because they have no jobs? And just as the minimum legal wage in Greece for full-time employment under the new austerity measures is due to drop to $US10,000 –ie. barely double that of Argentina? Who are we kidding?

A double standard that would ignore the fact of poverty and crime in one country still thought to be wealthy (the US) but that would harshly punish all inhabitants of a city in a poorer country for having the same problems -by depriving them of foreign visitors and tourism income -just because their society doesn’t completely sequester and hide its poor cannot reduce crime in BA or anywhere.

Okay, you don’t care about Pittsburgh but how about BA where you and other expats chose to live? Or do BA’s poverty and crime provide one more reason to disparage this city so as to avoid participating locally where you are in finding a workable solution that respects human dignity and the rights that we say are due to all people until one commits a crime?

As horrifying, frightening and intolerable as this murder is, eradicating areas where non-criminals also live and relocating people against their will is exactly what the Nazis violently did and told people was a ‘solution’. I thought we’d made some progress in the past 60 years in how we treat people. What could be more old-fashioned and inept than returning to such measures? Or is it that we now prefer to witness daily the rich robbing the poor and middle-classed worldwide? Yes, inequality produces crime at both ends of our social spectrum.

Back