Tourist visa expired..what should I carry in case of check?

I've lived here for three and a half years and have never been stopped for a police check. In the last two years since I've had a car, I've driven by dozens of roadside checks - monthly - and have never been stopped.

Even if you are, I don't believe they are really going to care about your visa - the local police don't enforce immigration issues, I don't believe. A sharp one may use it to get a little "forget it" gift from you maybe.

I've booked plane flights and bus trips without my passport. I've only needed it when I boarded international flights. Trips to Cordoba I never had to show my passport once.

And I've had tremendous luck using my Texas driver's license when using my debit cards. I stopped carrying my passport three years ago.

I have had a couple of issues in CompuMundo out here in Pilar. After about a year of having shopped there on and off, one time I tried to pay for something with my debit card and whipped out my license like usual. The clerk told me that I had to have a DNI or my passport and I argued with her a bit about the fact that I have never had problems with my TDL before. She ended up letting me use it, then told me the next time I had to use my passport. The next time, I had the same problem, but this time while I was waiting in line, I noticed there was a sign taped to the counter that informed customers that DNIs, passport, cedulas and other official government-issued id cards with photos could be used. I pointed to that when she told me I had to show my passport and she accepted my TDL with no more argument.

Easy is the only place where I have ever been denied using my TDL.

ElQueso said:
I've booked plane flights and bus trips without my passport. I've only needed it when I boarded international flights. Trips to Cordoba I never had to show my passport once.

The one exception to this rule of which I am aware is Ushuaia. For some reason that I forget, it is treated as an international airport even for domestic flights to and from other parts of Argentina.

I was travelling through there with a friend a few years ago: she was waved through the originating airport with just her DNI but hit the full might of the security forces when she tried to board a plane out of there. What happened? Let's put it this way: you don't ever, ever, ever want to be on the wrong side of an argument with her, okay?

Incidentally, friends who made the trip through Ushuaia recently confirmed that full international documentation was still being called for.

Back