tourist visa not renewed in Colonia!

I ideally want to stay here until the end of the year when my sabbatical runs out! I will then have to decide to apply for residency or not.

If I leave to Uruguay and they dont let me back in, what happens, I have all my things here?

I know I am probably worrying about it too much but there is still the risk!

Does anyone know the telephone number of an English speaking lawyer?
I am in such a panic after reading all these replies! I dont want to be here illegally! If I go out and they dont let me back in, what happens to all my personal belongings here in my apartment???

FWIW, I got 90 days this month in Colonia.

This, after I'd paid the multa on the way out, for the 2nd time (1st was in EZE).

Never done an extension, not seeing how/why that is better than simply overstaying.

Kirst said:
I ideally want to stay here until the end of the year when my sabbatical runs out! I will then have to decide to apply for residency or not.

As you have already been here for a year you could begin the application for citizenship.

Applying for "residency" is far more complicated than applying for citizenship. For the latter all you need is your passport, birth certificate, a certificado de domicilio, and the ability to demonstrate a "legal means of living" (even without a work visa). If I understand correctly, none of the documents need to have the seal of the Apostille or even be translated. (I should know for sure tomorrow when I submit my documents at the juzgada federal.)

Kirst said:
Does anyone know the telephone number of an English speaking lawyer?
I am in such a panic after reading all these replies! I dont want to be here illegally! If I go out and they dont let me back in, what happens to all my personal belongings here in my apartment???

Perhaps you should ask Bajo_cero2 for his telephone number. He specializes in Argentine citizenship for foreigners (especially those who are irregular).

You can contact Hector Gabriel Celano (google him)...He speaks english and has a pretty good idea of the latest immigration developments.

I was in your position for ages and getting the 90 day visa became increasingly difficult (immigrations refuse to renew it after 3 goes and Colonia immigrations people become increasingly stern).

If you're not planning to travel out of the country much until the end of the year, the best thing you can do is fly under the radar until you know what your long-term plans will be. I was advised not to do the colonia trip and it worked out pretty well. I stayed "illegal" for 2 months until I knew what I would be doing (getting married), left for a visit home, paid the fine, came back in, got married, applied for visa. Leaving every 90 days is no longer a legal way to remain here and really doesn't give you anything more than flying under the radar until you can apply for a proper visa...or leave. And at worse, it can alert authorities that you're really not supposed to be here as a permatourist!

steveinbsas said:
Perhaps you should ask Bajo_cero2 for his telephone number. He specializes in Argentine citizenship for foreigners (especially those who are irregular).

I would call Bajo Cero too (speaks English and deals with such cases. Furthermore he would indeed be helpful if you were later to prefere the citizenship process over the residency one, which seems to me also much easier) :
His details :
Christian Rubilar
4371-3727
15-3296-6149

I agree with those who tell you to avoid heading to Uruguay. Just stay illegally and pay your 300p when you leave. That seems to be the savvy way to deal with the current immigration tightening.

Kirst said:
I am in BsAs and supposed to be going to Uruguay tomorrow for the day to try to get the visa! Now I am really panicking!

But then why would you go? Im illegal here, ill just pay at the airport. Going to Uruguay to me just seems to be a lot of trouble without really gaining anything, the trip would cost me more in money and energy than just leaving 2 hours earlier and paying when i take my plane.

Thankyou all for your help on this one!

I had someone from the Embassy call the Immigrations for me in Uruguay and they could only give the standard answer about renewing visas numerous times!

My problem is the longer I stay the more illegal I am and if I stay until the end of the year, I would be over my visa by nearly 14 months!

My concern is also about not being allowed in at a later date if I want to come back!

Also, I have decided to take the advice of people and try to get citizenship, however I dont know how I am going to get it with an illegal passport here either!!! I was thinking about going down to P Madero tomorrow to explain I have started to the process of Citizenship and I need a renewed visa for 90 days so I can get it.

Any ideas? I shall of course call Bajo as well as the other recommendations!!

Back